PAW is not creating any containers in windows after installing 2.0.44

TM1_SBOSE
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, Planning Analytics
Version: 10.1, 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2016

PAW is not creating any containers in windows after installing 2.0.44

Post by TM1_SBOSE »

Hi Everyone,

I am facing an issue with the latest update of Planning Analytics Workspace local v2.0.44 in windows. We earlier had 2.0.43 installed and running. After the new version was released I tried to install the new version. To my surprise, after validating all the checks (VALIDATE_HOST="true"), and creating all the new images, it did not update any container. The Admin tool failed to run showing the following message,

Starting IBM Planning Analytics Workspace Administration Tool, please wait...Something went wrong at step 'Starting IBM Planning Analytics Workspace Administration Too...' Execution failed with exit code 125: See C:\Program Files\Docker\docker.exe run --help'.

The exit code 125 is very generic and it means run command itself failed.

I tried with existing install (2.0.43) and when started the existing containers, checking the version from PAW URL was showing 2.0.43.
I tried with a fresh docker install with nothing existing, docker ps -a shows no containers. docker images command shows all the 2.0.44 images created.

Tested on Docker 18.09.2 , 19.03.0. No Antivirus installed. All validation checks from Start.ps1 were successful. We are using Windows Server 2016 Standard. Data root for docker is 'D:\Program Files\Docker' (daemon.json is only having this config).

Can someone please advise?
a1m80t
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.1 to 10.2.2
Excel Version: Office 2010

Re: PAW is not creating any containers in windows after installing 2.0.44

Post by a1m80t »

From my experience, PAW 2.0.44 upgrade failed on two different servers while the previous 5 or so releases worked fine. However, PAW 2.0.44 did work on a fresh install of Windows with default docker configuration. I think there is an issue with the PAW 2.0.44 installer which will probably be fixed in the next release which shouldn't be too long. The change log for 2.0.45 for was released just today

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview. ... bm10958539
dr.nybble
MVP
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by dr.nybble »

This occurs if you have a space in your PAW install path (sorry about that -- fixed in SC45).

Patch scripts/admintool.ps1:31 to quote the volume options (-v):

Code: Select all

$cmd="docker run --rm -d --name admintool -e PAW_RELEASE -e SHOW_STATUS=true -v '${env:PAW_DIR}\config:C:\admintool\paw' -v '${env:PAW_DIR}\scripts\output:C:\admintool\output' {0} --network ${env:PAW_NET} ${env:ADMINTOOL_IMAGE}" -f $Port
Or alternatively, don't use the Administration Tool. Just do:

scripts/paw.ps1
TM1_SBOSE

Post by TM1_SBOSE »

Hi dr.nybble, Thank you for identifying this. Is it possible that the other scripts like build.ps1 are also having the similar issue, as none of the containers are starting up after images are created? Also, when would 2.0.45 be released?
dr.nybble wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:14 pm This occurs if you have a space in your PAW install path (sorry about that -- fixed in SC45).

Patch scripts/admintool.ps1:31 to quote the volume options (-v):

$cmd="docker run --rm -d --name admintool -e PAW_RELEASE -e SHOW_STATUS=true -v '${env:PAW_DIR}\config:C:\admintool\paw' -v '${env:PAW_DIR}\scripts\output:C:\admintool\output' {0} --network ${env:PAW_NET} ${env:ADMINTOOL_IMAGE}" -f $Port
Or alternatively, don't use the Administration Tool. Just do:

scripts/paw.ps1
dr.nybble
MVP
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2007

Post by dr.nybble »

Not aware that there is any problem other than the Administration Tool not starting.
What are you seeing when you run scripts/paw.ps1 ?
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

When you say not containers not starting up are you saying not automatically starting up or are you saying won't start up manually or automatically?
TM1_SBOSE

Post by TM1_SBOSE »

Mark RMBC wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:34 pm When you say not containers not starting up are you saying not automatically starting up or are you saying won't start up manually or automatically?
Mark,

When we usually install PAW, there are around 10~12 containers gets created. While installing PAW 2.0.44, after the images are created, it is not creating any container. docker ps -a shows nothing but header. Attaching the screenshots during and after installation,

PS. I tried running scripts/pws.ps1 but no luck. No volumes are created as well.
PAW 2.0.44 Admin Tool failed - Copy.PNG
PAW 2.0.44 Admin Tool failed - Copy.PNG (46.85 KiB) Viewed 10727 times
PAW 2.0.44 No containers or volumes - Copy.PNG
PAW 2.0.44 No containers or volumes - Copy.PNG (54.94 KiB) Viewed 10727 times
TM1_SBOSE

Post by TM1_SBOSE »

dr.nybble wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:18 pm Not aware that there is any problem other than the Administration Tool not starting.
What are you seeing when you run scripts/paw.ps1 ?
Thank you for pointing out the correct area dr.nybble. It seems that the containers/volumes are not being created automatically for some reason. I was trying scripts/paw.ps1 start earlier which obviously failed as no containers were available.

Running scripts/paw.ps1 without parameters created all the volumes and containers. now PAW works fine. But admin tool is still an issue as you pointed out earlier.

Thank you very much!