nicola531
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007

TM1 cube lock concurrency

Post by nicola531 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:03 am

Hello everybody,

I've got a question about security,

We're thinking of a performance test to do on a specific TM1 cube.
What I don't know and I would like to say if the writing locks in TM1 are managed per whole Cube or per Cells.

If they are per cube I could use the same cell to perform the test because for every write action the Cube is all blocked.
Otherwise if I have a lock per cell different user can work on different slice of the cube to make a more real case. This because the writing lock would be applied just in case two user are working on the same slice.

Thanks for any advice,

Nicola

lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: TM1 cube lock concurrency

Post by lotsaram » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:11 pm

All write locking in TM1 prior to 9.1 is at server level. Write locking in 9.1 - 9.5.1 is object level. An "object" for the purposes of locking is pretty much anything that ends up as a discrete file in the data directory when saved to disk. The current write lock is therefore cube level not cell level. Your profile indicates version 9.0 in which case the locking is actually server wide not cube level. If you are looking at a high concurrency application then you should look at 9.4.1.3 or 9.5.1 versions.

If you are using 9.5.1 in personal workspace / sandbox mode there will not be locking since changes are made to a personal area not the base model and once changes are committed they are managed by a job queue.