OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos EP, Contributor
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Named Levels not showing up!!

Post by gbehel »

Hello all,

Used the following sequence :

1- Published a TM1 cube to 10.2 BI.
2- On knowing that named levels were missing, I entered the values for named hierarchies in }hiererchyproperties control cube
3- Ran the RefreshMdxHierarchy(''); TI process.

After these steps, I launched the BI Report studio to see the changes but the named levels didn't show up.

I even recreated the package and published it but it didnt work

Can someone suggest where am I going wrong here? I also read that the server needs to be restarted but running the TI in step 3 above should also work

request your advise.

I tried looking into other posts but was not successful at finding one
Regards
Gbehel
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Re: Named Levels not showing up!!

Post by Michel Zijlema »

gbehel wrote:Hello all,

Used the following sequence :

1- Published a TM1 cube to 10.2 BI.
2- On knowing that named levels were missing, I entered the values for named hierarchies in }hiererchyproperties control cube
3- Ran the RefreshMdxHierarchy(''); TI process.

After these steps, I launched the BI Report studio to see the changes but the named levels didn't show up.

I even recreated the package and published it but it didnt work

Can someone suggest where am I going wrong here? I also read that the server needs to be restarted but running the TI in step 3 above should also work

request your advise.

I tried looking into other posts but was not successful at finding one
Regards
Gbehel
Two things:
1. did you run RefreshMdxHierarchy('') or RefreshMdxHierarchy('dimname')? You have to run the command per affected dimension.
2. sometimes the level names have a hard time coming through (I assume due to persistent caching) - sometimes you need to either flush your browser cache, republish the package or even restart the BI server for this...

Michel
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

Michel Zijlema wrote:1. did you run RefreshMdxHierarchy('') or RefreshMdxHierarchy('dimname')? You have to run the command per affected dimension.
In theory, either syntax should work fine with the first one refreshing all dimensions. I personally have never used it like that, but it should work.

I think Michel's suggestion of restarting the BI services is probably the most sound. Before you do that you can try and flush the metadata cache (there is an option for that somewhere deep in the Cognos Connection admin section).
Kamil Arendt
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

qml wrote:
Michel Zijlema wrote:1. did you run RefreshMdxHierarchy('') or RefreshMdxHierarchy('dimname')? You have to run the command per affected dimension.
In theory, either syntax should work fine with the first one refreshing all dimensions.
You learn something every day... I missed the 'optional' part in the function documentation.

Michel
gbehel
OLAP Product: TM1, Cognos EP, Contributor
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Post by gbehel »

qml wrote:
In theory, either syntax should work fine with the first one refreshing all dimensions. I personally have never used it like that, but it should work.

I think Michel's suggestion of restarting the BI services is probably the most sound. Before you do that you can try and flush the metadata cache (there is an option for that somewhere deep in the Cognos Connection admin section).
Thanks Michael and Qml : Yes in theory both the options should. I tried doing it per dimension also by specifying the Dimension Name. However it didnt work. I finally restrated the TM1 services and BI server. It worked fine from that point onwards.

Thanks for your help

Regards
Gbehel