Rule : Nest DB in the target cube part of the rule ?

Jonsulli
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2003

Rule : Nest DB in the target cube part of the rule ?

Post by Jonsulli »

Hello,

I would like to Nest a DB() in the target cube part of my rule, for example :

I want to replace :
[Budget 2012]=[Sourcecube,!Accounts,'current Budget'];
by
[DB(Current Budget asumption cube, 'Current Budget', 'Budget')]=[Sourcecube,!Accounts,'current Budget'];

But it does not work, is it a way to get it with TM1 ? (this is very simple to do with cognos planning)
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Rule : Nest DB in the target cube part of the rule ?

Post by tomok »

That type of formula is invalid in TM1. Why? Because the format of a rule statement in TM1 is as follows:

Area of cube to be affected by rule = What you want the number to be

What this means is that the statement to the left of the equal sign has to define a cell, or group of cells, in the current cube. The DB statement is a reference to another cube so it violates that rule. Any DB statement references have to go on the right hand side of the equal sign. I know this may throw a monkey wrench into how you may want to structure this particular rule but you have to follow this principle. Carefully placed IF statement logic will usually accomplish what you want:

[]=N:
IF(!Budget@=DB(Current Budget asumption cube, 'Current Budget', 'Budget'),
[Sourcecube,!Accounts,!Budget],
CONTINUE);

The only caveat with a rule structured like this is that you have to pay very careful attention to the order of the statements in your rule file, especially when you have multiple rule statements that could possibly apply to overlapping areas in the cube. When there are overlapping areas, the first rule statement that affects the area will have precedence. The reason I put the CONTINUE in the rule is because I know that this rule statement is going to clash with other rule statements because I have defined my area on the left side to be the entire cube. The CONTINUE statement tells TM1 that any area inside my definiton that does not meet the IF condition will still be open for someone to enter data into or define another rule for. If possible you don't want to structure a rule to define the entire cube like this, I just didn't know from your example what other dimensions are in the cube. It is highly likely we could reduce the scope. For example, if you have a version dimension we could limit it to "Budget", and not other versions like "Actual", and "Forecast". Something like that.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Jonsulli
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2003

Re: Rule : Nest DB in the target cube part of the rule ?

Post by Jonsulli »

Ok so we have to anticipate all the "If statement" in order to get it dynamic.
Thanks !