Error connecting to remote machine

dubs
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Error connecting to remote machine

Post by dubs »

Hi All,

I am running a local TM1 server as a service but intermittently the server crashes and I get this message in the log:

TM1.Comm.SSL Error connecting to remote machine

I am not using SSL or connecting to a remote machine. The error seems to coincide with losing a connection to my VPN but not all the time, sometimes I lose my connection but TM1 stays up and running. I've checked my firewall and granted it permission to run all TM1 apps (even though its a local server).

It's beginning to drive me mad as I lose access to the server and cannot connect without restarting the service and losing work that I've done.

Does anybody have any ideas on whats happening here? I've never seen this error before I started using TM1 on my laptop.

Many Thanks
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Error connecting to remote machine

Post by tomok »

You're running a TM1 server on your laptop/desktop, while connected to your corporate network via a VPN? Please tell me this isn't a production setup. :cry:

IBM will tell you that this error message is inconsequential but I have encountered it before many times and often times it is a harbinger of an impending crash. What it is tell ing you is that your TM1 server is having problems communicating with the Admin Server service. I have also experienced what you are talking about with a VPN. If a run TM1 on my local machine, while connected to someone else's network via a VPN, whenever the VPN goes down my TM1 will lock up. I just chalked it up to a "don't do that" as in, "Doctor my neck hurts when I do this." Doctor says, "Then don't do that." I didn't waste time trying to figure it out because I should really nnow better than attempt that kind of setup and expect to not have problems.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
dubs

Post by dubs »

no its a dev environment.

I need to connect to the VPN to access a database so unfortunately I have no choice - the majority of the time this set up works fine but a few times a week I'll lose connection and have to restart the service and end up losing stuff I've just done. Doing a SaveDataAll everytime I make a change will just slow me down too much.

Does anybody else have any suggestions?
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

dubs wrote:Does anybody else have any suggestions?
Turn logging back on for the cubes in question and TM1 will recover from the crash automatically. The processes will run slightly slower but you won't have to worry about losing changes when it crashes.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

Post by John Hammond »

This might help
ReceiveProgressResponseTimeoutSecs
The ReceiveProgressResponseTimeoutSecs parameter configures the server to sever the client connection and release resources during a long wait for a Cancel action.

Parameter type:

Optional

Dynamic

Modified parameter values are applied to the server when you save the Tm1s.cfg file. There is no need to restart the server.

When the TM1® server is performing lengthy operations for a client, periodic "progress" messages are sent to the TM1 client application. The client responds to these messages with an indication of whether the user has pressed the Cancel button, in which case the lengthy operation is terminated. These responses are generated automatically by the network code in the client application; there is no user interaction involved. After sending the progress message the server waits for a response from the client application. As the server is waiting, the client's thread will continue to hold resource locks on the TM1 server, preventing other users from making other server requests which require the same resource locks.

In some particular situations, most notably running TM1 clients under a Citrix environment, the response from the client application never arrives back at the TM1 server, causing the server to wait for an infinite amount of time. This results in a system lockup, because the client's thread holds resource locks that are never released.

The ReceiveProgressResponseTimeoutSecs parameter lets you configure your server to detect this situation and to sever the client connection, releasing the resources. When the parameter is set to a valid interval (in seconds), the server process will terminate the client connection, releasing any resource locks, if the server does not detect the client application's response within the specified interval.

For example, if ReceiveProgressResponseTimeoutSecs=20 and the client application does not respond to the progress message sent from the server within 20 seconds, the client connection is terminated. Again, no user action is required to generate this response. The response is automatically generated by the client application, so that if the response does not arrive within 20 seconds, it is an indication that there is something seriously wrong with the client or the underlying network.

ReceiveProgressResponseTimeoutSecs is an optional Tm1s.cfg parameter. If the parameter is not present in the Tm1s.cfg file, processes are not terminated when a client does not respond to a progress message from the TM1 server.

For some TM1 installations (version 9.4 or later), the ClientMessagePortNumber defines a separate thread to use for cancellation messages without tying up reserves. When ClientMessagePortNumber is available, ReceiveProgressResponseTimeoutSecs is not used.
Set this to F to speed up communication. Remember UseSSL=F is the default so you might be using it.
UseSSL
Enables or disables SSL on the TM1® server.

Parameter type:

Optional/Required to use SSL.

Static

If you change this parameter value, restart the TM1 server to apply the new value.

Set UseSSL=T to enable SSL. With this setting, only TM1 9.1 and later clients will be able to securely connect to the server.

Set UseSSL=F to disable SSL. With this setting, all TM1 clients, including older clients that do not support SSL, will be able to connect to the server in insecure mode.

When UseSSL=T, you must set several other Tm1s.cfg parameters that manage SSL implementation. For details on these parameters, see Running TM1 in Secure Mode Using SSL.
dubs

Post by dubs »

Thanks John,

I'll take at look at this and let you know how I get on. :)