Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Is a new licence required moving from 9.0 to 9.5

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi All,
Hope all is well, I've been a stranger in these parts recently!

Can anyone tell me if a new licence file is required if I move from 9.0 to 9.5?
(I did search for this honest Alan!)

Cheers

Steve
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Is a new licence required moving from 9.0 to 9.5

Post by Alan Kirk »

Steve Rowe wrote: Hope all is well, I've been a stranger in these parts recently!

Can anyone tell me if a new licence file is required if I move from 9.0 to 9.5?
(I did search for this honest Alan!)
Whah' howdie stranger. We got ourselves a cow tippin' contest every Saturday night outside the Saloon forum, y'all are welcome to join in.

OK, short answer is no. Longer answer is "well, not exactly, but you don't need to worry about it".

Here's what I found with a recent update that I did of those very two versions:
- Uninstall the 9.0 version from the server first. Not sure if this is necessary with the clients but I'd do it anyway. First time I did it I forgot to do that (I think there's something in the install guide about it from memory, I just forgot about it; it's only a software test environment, not a live one) and the 9.0 installation was still there. Worse, some of the servers still tried to launch using that but I'll come back to that.
- The install will put its own tm1p8.lic in the Cognos\TM1\bin folder for Perspectives. We're supposed to be trusted these days remember, rather than relying on .lic files the way we were in the olden days but I think that this particular .lic file is still needed for that purpose. However the install package takes care of that for you.
- tm1s.lic files don't seem to be needed any more; I have a session running as we speak which doesn't have such a file in the folder.
- Be careful if you've manually created your own services; you'll probably have to remove them and recreate them because they'll be using a different .exe filepath. (Discussed more here.) This was one "gotcha" that I ran into; a server was launching and appearing in Server Explorer but wouldn't allow me to log in. When I checked its log I found that it was launching under the 9.0 .exe which hadn't been uninstalled. "D'oh", as the saying goes.

There was something else too... hmm, knew what it was at the start of posting this, can't remember it now...

Maybe it was "cut the red wire, not the blue wire".

If it was anything else I'll post a follow-up about it.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Thanks Alan, coprehensive answer as ever. Nearly done pusuading the IBM site to give me the installs and that was after figuring out what it was that I actually needed. CZH5DML and CZH5EML as I remember! It's about time the 64 bit install included the 32 bit client and you only needed to download one thing.

Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

Steve Rowe wrote:... It's about time the 64 bit install included the 32 bit client and you only needed to download one thing.
Just my humble opinion but it's also about time they provided a single language selection to download to stem the heinous and ever increasing file size bloat.