Making a private dimension subset public

ChrisF79
OLAP Product: IBM TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP2

Making a private dimension subset public

Post by ChrisF79 »

Greetings:

I have a coworker that is not an admin and made a subset in one of the dimensions. He saved that subset and asked me to make it public. I'd like to but I don't see it. Is there a way I can make a user's subset public?

Thanks
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Making a private dimension subset public

Post by Alan Kirk »

ChrisF79 wrote: I have a coworker that is not an admin and made a subset in one of the dimensions. He saved that subset and asked me to make it public. I'd like to but I don't see it. Is there a way I can make a user's subset public?
If this is a one-off the easiest way is to log off, copy the .sub file from the user's folder (which will be something like \UserName\DimName}subs) into your own folder in the data directory, then when you log in it'll appear as one of your private subsets. You can then right click on it in the subset list and select Publish.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
ChrisF79
OLAP Product: IBM TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP2

Post by ChrisF79 »

That will work well. Thanks!
kpk
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, CX
Version: TM1 7x 8x 9x 10x CX 9.5 10.1
Excel Version: XP 2003 2007 2010

Post by kpk »

Alan Kirk wrote:
ChrisF79 wrote: I have a coworker that is not an admin and made a subset in one of the dimensions. He saved that subset and asked me to make it public. I'd like to but I don't see it. Is there a way I can make a user's subset public?
If this is a one-off the easiest way is to log off, copy the .sub file from the user's folder (which will be something like \UserName\DimName}subs) into your own folder in the data directory, then when you log in it'll appear as one of your private subsets. You can then right click on it in the subset list and select Publish.
If you copy the subset this way you have to restart the server in order to see it as your own private.
Using this approach you can copy the subset directly into the Database\DimName}subs folder and see it immeditately as a public subset (after restart).

If you want to avoid the server restart then try to use the PublishSubset(dimension, subset) function.
Best Regards,
Peter
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

kpk wrote:
Alan Kirk wrote:
If you copy the subset this way you have to restart the server in order to see it as your own private.
I assure you, you don't.

Go ahead and try it.

Private views and subsets seem to be read in on demand (ie when the user logs on), unlike public ones.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
kpk
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, CX
Version: TM1 7x 8x 9x 10x CX 9.5 10.1
Excel Version: XP 2003 2007 2010

Post by kpk »

Alan Kirk wrote: I assure you, you don't.

Go ahead and try it.

Private views and subsets seem to be read in on demand (ie when the user logs on), unlike public ones.
Wow! That really works.
Thanks!
Best Regards,
Peter
Gregor Koch
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1, CX
Version: 9.0 and up
Excel Version: 2007 and up

Post by Gregor Koch »

Hi

I agree with Alan, if it is a once off just use the "File - Copy - Bounce - Server" approach.

But...
Although the private subsets might not be in memory they are still stored as .sub files in the users folder. Hence if you know the user name, dimension name and subset name you know where to look for the .sub file. You can use the file as source and by fiddling with the '270,x' section (which lists the elements of the subset) of that file and do a 'simple' SubsetCreate (SubsetExists check, SubsetElementInsert etc) and you are good to go.
Yep, a whole lot of coding and you can take it to the extend of checking for a dynamic subset, but it beats restarting the server if you have to do it every month, week or day.

Cheers