vinnusea
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

What if analysis in Cube!!!!!

Post by vinnusea »

TASK:( What if Analysis)
There is a Cube with dimensions and some measures and we have lot of Users

Now User 1 open a cross section and writes some values into cube and he must save this view as his own view (View 1)
Again after some time USER 1 comes back and writes again into a cube with new values and saves VIEW2
In the same way User 2 ...USER 3.... so on..
User 2 must not see User1 data
All the users write into same cross section of a cube... ((Dont know how this can be accomplished)
There is a Main Admin User on Top who writes default values into the same cross section then all Users must see the default users
and then again users will Over writes into the same cross section and saves to their views......

please let me know.... any solution
Am using TM1 9.4.1
Thanks
Vinnusea
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Re: What if analysis in Cube!!!!!

Post by rkaif »

In TM1 version 9.5 or later there is a new feature called SandBox - but unfortunately the TM1 version you are on does not have this.

You can add a dimension to your cube which you can use for What-If/Forecast/Version entries. You can add different elements to this new dimension e.g Version 1, Version 2, Version 3....

and then you can setup TM1 Security in such a way that User 1 will have access to only Version 1, User 2 will have access to only Version 2.....

while your Admin will have access to all the Versions.
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif
vinnusea
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2010

Post by vinnusea »

Thanks kaif will try to approach ur adviced way and will post back if any other huddles comes up..

Thanks
Thanks
Vinnusea
comma
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.5.0 64-bit
Excel Version: 2003 SP3

Post by comma »

rkaif wrote:In TM1 version 9.5 or later there is a new feature called SandBox
I've always been wondering about this Sandbox.

Let's say I have a scenario like this:
I have cube FX Rate which is managed by user A, and another cube called Expense managed by user B.
User A only has write access to FX Rate, and no access at all to cube Expense. Meanwhile, B has write access to cube Expense and read access to cube FX Rate.
The expenses are inputed in multiple currencies.

Now, B want to play around with the FX Rate and see the impact to his expenses. In this case, this cannot be achieved because B cannot change the FX Rate (yes, I can grant B write access to FX Rate, but usually rates are only managed by one user).
Asking A to create Sandbox in FX Rate and B to create Sandbox in Expense won't do either, because Sandboxes are like private views, they won't interconnect.

So the only way out that I can think of is to grant B write access to FX Rate, which will break the actual business process a lil bit.
Any thoughts anyone?
Windows Server 2003 Enterprise x64
Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3
Internet Explorer 7
kpk
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, CX
Version: TM1 7x 8x 9x 10x CX 9.5 10.1
Excel Version: XP 2003 2007 2010

Post by kpk »

You can define different logic for the base version and the what if version(s).
The base FX rate should be maintained by only one user (A) and the other rate(s) by others.
Best Regards,
Peter
comma

Post by comma »

kpk wrote:You can define different logic for the base version and the what if version(s).
The base FX rate should be maintained by only one user (A) and the other rate(s) by others.
So do you mean instead of using Sandbox, I should create a Version dimension on FX Rate for a what if analysis?
Then, the Sandbox should be left for no good?
Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3
Internet Explorer 7
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

comma wrote:So do you mean instead of using Sandbox, I should create a Version dimension on FX Rate for a what if analysis?
Then, the Sandbox should be left for no good?
I don't think you understand what the sandbox is designed for. The idea behind the sandbox is to let users try different values for the items they are responsible for "contributing" to the model, outside of the shared workspace, until they find the right amounts, then they commit those values to the main model. It's not really a "what if" tool, although it can be for the things you are allowed to change. If you as a user are not allowed to modify fxrates, then you're not going to be able to sandbox them. Simple as that. For a truly what-if model you'll have to modify the secured dimensions to add what-if elements users can be given access to, so they can play with them, or alternatively create a what-if cube that looks like the original cube, having identical, but differently named, dimensions so you can give out security access to them. If you add the }Clients dimension to the cube then each user can have their own what-if area to work with. You could pipe in, via a rule, the base anounts so each user has a starting point for the what-if. This is just one idea, the possibilities are endless with TM1.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Atif.Hameed
Version: 9.1.4

Post by Atif.Hameed »

You can define cell secuirty for this cross section and and as "tommok' said admin via rule or TI.
comma

Post by comma »

Hmm, I think I get what you mean, tomok.
Thanks for the advice!
Windows XP Pro 2002 SP3
Internet Explorer 7