Cognos Express and Windows 7

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Cognos Express and Windows 7

Post by Martin Ryan »

IBM says here that to run Cognos Express the client must be running Windows XP. I.e. Windows 7 is not supported. Has anyone successfully run it with Windows 7?

Also, the server is supposed to be Windows Server 2003 SP2. Anyone succeeded with Server 2008?

I'm assuming from the version number (Cognos Express 9.0) that the TM1 engine is 9.0, is that correct?

Does anyone have the inside word on when an updated version of Express will be available? It seems to be a long way behind the stand alone products.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Cognos Express and Windows 7

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:IBM says here that to run Cognos Express the client must be running Windows XP. I.e. Windows 7 is not supported. Has anyone successfully run it with Windows 7?

Also, the server is supposed to be Windows Server 2003 SP2. Anyone succeeded with Server 2008?

I'm assuming from the version number (Cognos Express 9.0) that the TM1 engine is 9.0, is that correct?

Does anyone have the inside word on when an updated version of Express will be available? It seems to be a long way behind the stand alone products.
Can't answer your other questions but I understood that the engine was 9.4. I can't find an explicit reference to this but it's interesting to note that the CX user manual (http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg27016532) makes mention of Active Forms, which came in with that version.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi Martin,

The TM1 (Xcelerator) component is TM1 9.4.1 - I'm not sure about the FP level. There is a Fixpack available in FixCentral which will upgrade CX to version 9.0.0.1. I assume this will also upgrade the TM1 component to 9.4.1FP3. I haven't tested CX on Windows 7 and/or Win 2008R2, but I know there are some issues with the latter in relation to IIS (TM1Web).
The next CX release is delayed, I don't think ther will be a release before the end of this year.

Michel
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

Thanks guys.
Michel Zijlema wrote: The TM1 (Xcelerator) component
My sales guy (and now me) is currently pretty confused about what Xcelerator is and isn't. From the reading of a document I've seen Xcelerator is the Excel add-in, TM1 Web and Workflow. It seems you can buy anything (e.g. Advisor or Report Studio) and get the TM1 engine as a base component. The Excel add-in then seems to be one of the options.

Does that tally with your interpretation? Initially I had thought that you always bought Xcelerator (including the engine, Excel add-in and Web) and then you could bolt on Advisor (EV) and Report Studio if you chose to.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

My understanding is that Xcelerator is indeed Perspectives and TM1Web. You get the TM1 engine as part of Cognos Express, along with Architect, but in order to use Perspectives or TM1 Web you have to buy Xcelerator.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Michel Zijlema
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1, PALO
Version: both 2.5 and higher
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010

Post by Michel Zijlema »

Hi Martin,

The Xcelerator module contains a TM1 Server, the TM1 Architect and Perspectives Windows clients and the TM1 Web client.
The Advisor module contains the Executive Viewer Server and Web Client and a component called Data Advisor which is used to create a cube based on a (relational) datasource. This cube is created in TM1, which is also part of this module (so you don't need the Xcelerator module for this), but, as I understand, only can be (or should be...) populated through Data Advisor.
The Reporter module contains Cognos Query Studio, Report Studio and Framework Manager. AFAIK TM1 is not contained in this module.
All modules come with Express Manager, containing Cognos Administration and Cognos Connection.

MIchel
stex2727
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2007

Post by stex2727 »

This cube is created in TM1, which is also part of this module (so you don't need the Xcelerator module for this), but, as I understand, only can be (or should be...) populated through Data Advisor.
Data advisor is a pretty but poorly functional replacement for TI. In the background it creates a TI process and deletes it when finished. Useful if you want to quickly populate a cube but you cannot do any transformations of the data. I wouldn't even bother with it. You can still use TI in express.

Steve
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

Martin (or should I say Ryan?)
Your sales guy is correct in that Excelerator comprises
- "Xcelerator Client" (ie TM1 Excel add-in)
- "Xcelerator Web" (ie TM1 Web)
- "Xcelerator Workflow" (ie planning manager.........)

If you purchase ANY of the CX modules you get following bundled in:
- "In-Memory Analytic (IMA) Server" ie TM1 server
- Architect
- Turbo integrator

I believe the next release of CX will be based on TM1 version 9.5.1 so will support Windows 7 and Windows server 2008 R2. My guess is a release date of Q1 2011.

Email me for further info.