Server cfg recomended for TM1 9.4.1

rayjk
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4.1
Excel Version: 2007

Server cfg recomended for TM1 9.4.1

Post by rayjk »

I was trying to find this info on the forum but I failed :/
I have instaled TM1 9.4.1 on Intel Xeon X7350 @ 2,93 GHz, 4G RAM, Win Server 2003.
In peak time there is about 60-100 users logged in through Perspectives. I must say the server works very slow :/
I am rockie in TM1, please help is there a chance to make TM1 work faster ??
Can You recommend better server configuration for my TM1 ???
Thanx in advance!
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Server cfg recomended for TM1 9.4.1

Post by lotsaram »

You are going to have to give a fair bit more information to get any useful help.

How many CPUs? What % of available RAM is spare?
What is the application (read only, read/write, calculation intensity, etc.)?
What is the security model like (cube security only, element security, cell security)?
Are data updates running during the day?
What are the users doing?
Have you analysed with TM1top to see what the threads are doing? (posting the toplog from a peak time might be helpful)
laenen
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2003

Post by laenen »

rayjk wrote:I was trying to find this info on the forum but I failed :/
I have instaled TM1 9.4.1 on Intel Xeon X7350 @ 2,93 GHz, 4G RAM, Win Server 2003.
In peak time there is about 60-100 users logged in through Perspectives. I must say the server works very slow :/
I am rockie in TM1, please help is there a chance to make TM1 work faster ??
Can You recommend better server configuration for my TM1 ???
Thanx in advance!
If you substituted Oracle for TM1 in your question and asked how can I make my database app faster what would you look at?

-- Data model
-- Your application
-- Network traffic
-- Physical machine and its resources
-- peak usage times

etc.

And you could expect that the answers to be a wide range. TM1 is no different than a large enterprise DB. That said -- try to narrow down the problem. Maybe take the network out of the equation. Monitor physical usage during peak times. Check the logs for errors. Does performance degrade with users or is it poor out of the box. etc

Good luck -- performance issues are very tough to debug.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

You also said you were a "rookie" with TM1. Who did your model design and build? Did you do it? No disrespect intended, but if you are a rookie I can almost guarantee you that there is probably tons of room for improvement. I was a rookie once and I shudder when thinking about all the stuff I did wrong back then. You would be wise to have someone that's not a rookie review your design and make suggestions for improvement. It would be money well spent.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
rayjk
Version: 9.4.1
Excel Version: 2007

Post by rayjk »

The implementation was done by professionals (maybe "I installed" was a lil bit inappropriate), the only botleneck was the manager of MIS department in my company, he didn't agree to pay for two proc server. I will try to change his mind, but first I would like to know what changes in hardware would give some noticeable changes in performance ?

lotsaram:
What is the application (read only, read/write, calculation intensity, etc.)?
r/w ; daily
What is the security model like (cube security only, element security, cell security)?
all
Are data updates running during the day?
yes
What are the users doing?
plannig budget, what else could they do ;)
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

rayjk wrote:The implementation was done by professionals (maybe "I installed" was a lil bit inappropriate), the only botleneck was the manager of MIS department in my company, he didn't agree to pay for two proc server. I will try to change his mind, but first I would like to know what changes in hardware would give some noticeable changes in performance ?
First off, I would NEVER run a single processor TM1 production server unless there were less than 10 users and I knew who they all were and what exactly they were all doing all the time. Secondly, it looks like your professional installer, or maybe your IT dept, ignored IBM's hardware recommendations. They have a document on their support web site that lists the recommended hardware based on user count. Although it is quite simplistic, it is a pretty good guide. You are woefully underspec'ed. Personally, I wouldn't put in a planning and forecasting production installation of TM1, with your user count, with less than four cores. Whether that's two dual core processers, or one quad-core, or whatever, you're just asking for trouble with anythng less than that. Whatever you save on hardware costs is going to blown on support issues/dissatisfied users? The general rule of thumb on TM1 is you can never have too many processors or too much RAM. Buy as much as you can afford or you'll be sorry later.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/