AmbPin
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007-10

TM1 Stability

Post by AmbPin »

Hello,
I have TM1 installed on a VM box running Win Server 2003. I have 8GB of memory and as far as I can tell the server is in good health.
Connecting to this server I have a mixture of Vista and Win7 clients all running Office 2007. I am finding that all clients are experincing very frequent client lock ups when using either the Excel or Architect Client. Quite often these will render the server unusable too.

I have TM1 v9.4.1 FP3 - Is anyone else having difficulties like this?

I am new to this software, and so far like the flexiblity and potential but less than impressed by the reliability of TM1.
rkaif
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBM Cognos TM1
Version: 9.1 or later
Excel Version: 2003 or later

Re: TM1 Stability

Post by rkaif »

Running TM1 over a VM is not a good idea and is not supported
Cheers!
Rizwan Kaif
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi AmbPin,
Welcome to the world of TM1.
Your client locks may not all be down to system stability / bugs. There are several actions that can cause the client to lock.
1.Any TI Process will lock the server and all clients will freeze.
2.Any rule save will lock the server and all clients will freeze. If a rule has many feeders it can take several minutes for a rule to save.
3.Loading or changing data will casue TM1 to discard cached results, this can cause a significant pause on the next read request.

None of these actions should break the server though. How are you establishing that the server is broken?
I've no experience of running TM1 on VM ware but I believe people do it without side effects.
You maybe on an unstable version, I don't know if v9.4.1 FP3 is the latest 9.4.1 but you might want to look at upgrading.
Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
stephen waters
MVP
Version: 10_2_2
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by stephen waters »

Many of our larger clients run TM1 in a virtual environment (mainly VMWare) without a problem. You do need to make sure it is set up correctly, in particular that there is enough RAM and processor power allocated to the TM1 virtual server.
Note that Win7 is not yet supported by TM1 though we know clients who are using it without a problem.

You talk about "client lock ups" and the server becoming "unstable". Can you be more precise? Does the server crash? Users sometimes think that the server has crashed\locked when in reality another user has requested a big calculation which will place all other users in a queue until it is finished. Have you looked at what is actually happening on the server using eg, Task Manager, TM1top, PerfMon to monitor eg RAM and processor useage?

I noticed from your other post that you have at least one reasonably large dimension (16k); how large and complex is your system? In particular, do you have rules and, if so are you using skipcheck and feeders?
AmbPin
Regular Participant
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007-10

Post by AmbPin »

Hello all,
Thanks for all the replies. The cube is not that complex and runs in around 400K of memory. The things that cause the failure seem fairly innocuous and random such as clicking on an item in a dimension or switching to an alias. The TM1 server and or client seem to stick in an endless loop maxing out the CPU; have left both for over an hour to see if they would come back. Windows server has never been an issue and has not seemed to contribute to any of the problems.

I am happy with the feeders and rules that are written, they are not complex. The system is still under development and so there are only two other people on it at the same time, I would know if any rule updates or heavy calculations were taking place.
rcoppa
Version: 9.0SR3
Excel Version: 2007

Post by rcoppa »

We are having similar issues and having difficulty isolating it

Timing could have been when introducing windows 7 clients or a vmware upgrade to 4.2