Mirantis and PAW

tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Mirantis and PAW

Post by tomok »

Does anyone have any experience with running Mirantis Container Runtime (MCR) with PAW? MCR is the new name for Docker since it was purchased by MIrantis. Does it just plug in seamlessly with PAW? PAW comes with the Docker install as part of the Powershell script for installing PAW but you can't run Docker in a production environment without a license from Mirantis so you have to skip the Docker part of the install since you have to install Mirantis separately. Has anyone done this? Any tips you would like to share?

FYI, IBM Support would not help me because MCR is a third-party component. Their advice was to use Linux for PAW. I agree with them but unfortunately the client wants no part of Linux as they have no experience with it and would not be able to support it. We can't go to the IBM Cloud because it would break the bank. IBM rep said they won't take cloud customers for less than $50k and this client is an old Cognos Express customer and their annual maintenance is less than $5k per year.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
TJMurphy
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Re: Mirantis and PAW

Post by TJMurphy »

I'm not going to say we have a lot of experience but we are in the process of doing it on an upgrade now. We're also a Windows environment.
Because there was a gap between us buying the licence and then grabbing the software I remember it being difficult to find the download link, the Mirantis website kept pushing me back towards downloading an eval copy. But a support ticket sorted me out (probably user error on my end).
The only fiddly bit we had was our servers are air gapped so we had to follow the relevant pieces of instructions from the Mirantis support site. That means downloading on another computer then copying the files over and installing.
We've also run the PAL / PAW update process recently (the end Nov patches from IBM) and that went through cleanly.
Do I like it - not really. Give me the old fashioned simple installation any day!
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Re: Mirantis and PAW

Post by Edward Stuart »

It's a frustration but it's an easy install and works just as it did before it was a product this was licensed.

Pay/ Download the evaluation powershell install script, run it and you should be able to install PAW as usual