Advice on training in Planning Analytics between jobs

John Hammond
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PAW/PAX 2.0.72 Perspectives
Version: TM1 Server 11.8.003
Excel Version: 365 and 2016

Advice on training in Planning Analytics between jobs

Post by John Hammond »

I would appreciate anyone's advice on Advice on training in Planning Analytics between jobs.

I see there is an option to download a free trial from IBM, but I'm worried I might get roped into paying a lot of money to continue with that trial.

I literally want to use Planning Analytics to upskill but have some practical application rather than just reading the manuals.

For example, I'd like to look at the rest API and TM1 py.

Any advice would be appreciated and I will try and let others know of my experience on this thread.

Thank you John
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Re: Advice on training in Planning Analytics between jobs

Post by Paul Segal »

Hi John,

Yes, I agree it's a pain.

Having said that, the trial won't cost you money - it just lets you know after 30 days that your time is up and would you like to throw some money at IBM? No credit card details are asked for. If you're still a bit hesitant, I have 16 days of a trial still to go and can add more users, so DM me if you'd like me to add you to my trial.

However, the trial is somewhat limited in that there is no access to workbench, you can't add cubes, can't use applications or plans, and (in particular) you don't get a non-interactive account so TM1py or anything Rest API based is out as well*. It's not really meant for developers, I suppose, but you can work up PAW and download the latest version of PAfE and use that.

I can only think of two other options:

1. Find a friendly consultancy who'll let you use one of their training instances. I suspect they might want money, however.
2. Club together with some other developers in the same boat and fund an AWS set-up in some way.

* unless anyone knows a secret way around this.

Regards
Paul
MarenC
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by MarenC »

Hi,

You would think (maybe they do!) that IBM would have some kind of support network for people who have passed the badges, so when they lose their job they have access to training/development environments etc.

Maybe one for the ideas portal?

Maren
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Paul Segal wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 10:37 am However, the trial is somewhat limited ...
The above link had an extra close bracket preventing it from going to the intended page.
However, I think that was the old trial that has been removed.

The new PA on AWS (PA aaS) trial is here
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

gtonkin wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:52 pm However, I think that was the old trial that has been removed.
Same trial as I'm only 14 days in, but I was attempting to point to the trial notes and limitations page here
Paul
John Hammond
Community Contributor

Post by John Hammond »

MarenC wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:29 pm You would think (maybe they do!) that IBM would have some kind of support network for people who have passed the badges, so when they lose their job they have access to training/development environments etc.
I suppose that once they get TM1 itself established as part of the application running under OCP, then they should be able to spin up a PAW instance with Planning Samp updatable and then IBM just gives you a URL and user password so you can access PAW externally but with little security risk since it's going into a virtualized app with only dummy data.
John Hammond
Community Contributor

Post by John Hammond »

gtonkin wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 2:52 pm The new PA on AWS (PA aaS) trial is here
Thank you gtonkin and all respondents
WilliamSmith
OLAP Product: TM1 / PA / PAx / PAW
Version: TM1 11
Excel Version: 365

Post by WilliamSmith »

Hey, just throwing it out there, I was in the same boat as you about a year ago, stepping into a new company + position that was TM1 / Planning Analytics heavy and I had zero TM1 experience, imagine :o :lol:

I've had to swim or drown, and I've learned a lot since (PAW UI / Excel Add-In, using the Rest API etc.) Since I started from a blank slate, I've found some really cool ways of interacting with TM1 that are more modern. If you'd like to connect and discuss, more than happy, please reach out.