Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

New monitor

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello all,

I am going through the process of selecting a new monitor to connect to my laptop. This should be a rather pleasant activity :-)
I would go for a 27" screen with resolution of either 2560x1440 or 4K (3840x2160).

However, the problem is Architect / Perspecties. Can you use it on higher resolutions than full HD (1920x1080) ?
If not, which I think is the case, is there a possibility to divide a big monitor into left/right, where left is TM1 and right is Excel or other ?
I read about PBP (Picture by picture) and various kinds of screen partitioning into 2/3/4/... partitions with predefined layouts) but I can't seem to find information on whether the different partitions can use a different resolution.

Does anyone have a set up like this ? I know that Architect / Perspectives will die eventually but for the time being I want to use it on the new monitor.

Many thanks,

Wim
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
garry cook
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Various
Excel Version: Various

Re: New monitor

Post by garry cook »

Hi Wim,

I use a 4k monitor pretty much exclusively for work and perspectives renders fine at 4k resolution. I use perspectives daily on a 32" 4k without issue so shouldn't be a concern.

For ref, 27" is just about the minimum size I'd personally recommend if you're going 4k. I found smaller screens started to cause issues for me with UI's that didn't support native 4k. Spent too much time with my old 24" 4k trying to find small cursors / changing text sizes, etc but maybe that's just my age starting to show on my retinas. I'm sure others will have a different opinion but that's my take on it.

Regards,
Garry
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Wim Gielis wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:51 pm Hello all,

I am going through the process of selecting a new monitor to connect to my laptop. This should be a rather pleasant activity :-)
I would go for a 27" screen with resolution of either 2560x1440 or 4K (3840x2160).

However, the problem is Architect / Perspecties. Can you use it on higher resolutions than full HD (1920x1080) ?
If not, which I think is the case, is there a possibility to divide a big monitor into left/right, where left is TM1 and right is Excel or other ?
My standard monitor is 2560*1440; there's no problem at all with Perspectives. Just be aware that you're going to get the "Subset editor is 'broken' " issue a lot when you switch between the extended monitor and the notebook's local one. As long as you know the three ways to get around it ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXXrw1sXbD0 ) it's not really a problem.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

Thanks Garry and Alan.
Alan Kirk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:37 pmAs long as you know the three ways to get around it ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXXrw1sXbD0 ) it's not really a problem.
Or a 4th option that I use: write a small AutoHotKey script that changes the tm1p.ini file after pressing a shortcut key.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Wim Gielis wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:20 pm Thanks Garry and Alan.
Alan Kirk wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:37 pmAs long as you know the three ways to get around it ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXXrw1sXbD0 ) it's not really a problem.
Or a 4th option that I use: write a small AutoHotKey script that changes the tm1p.ini file after pressing a shortcut key.
Yyyyessss, though...
Sledgehammer.jpg
Sledgehammer.jpg (87.81 KiB) Viewed 3755 times
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

Guilty !

But it’s part of a much bigger AHK script which saves a lot of time. A tip for those who use the same approach as me: use the Insert key on the clipboard to start custom tools in AHK. Insert is a key that is located centrally on my keyboard and which I don’t care about giving up. I never use it in day to day work.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Wim Gielis wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:35 pm Guilty !

But it’s part of a much bigger AHK script which saves a lot of time. A tip for those who use the same approach as me: use the Insert key on the clipboard to start custom tools in AHK. Insert is a key that is located centrally on my keyboard and which I don’t care about giving up. I never use it in day to day work.
Agreed; it's a minor nuisance, in fact. Its intended purpose was to toggle between overstrike (type over the top of whatever is there) and insert mode (push everything to the right) in text editors and word processors. The problem is that hardly anyone uses overstrike mode; there's too much danger of typing over something that you don't want to type over. It's far more effective to just select the text that you want to replace and type over it.

The key still does that in Notepad++ and I can't see a way to turn that off in the options. At least Microsoft DOES have an option to turn it off in Word these days, certainly since 2010; Options -> Advanced -> Use the insert key to control overtype mode. I can't recall whether it's off by default or whether I always set it that way.

However if I were to use AHK (which you've inspired me to look at), I have a different key that I would use. A key that I hate beyond the speaking of it. A key that the Excel development team really needs to consign to the hottest, most barren and treeless inner suburbs of hell with panoramic west-facing windows and no curtains. I refer of course to Scroll Lock. Mind you, a lot of notebook keyboards don't have that {string of expletives deleted} these days which makes it even more fun when you receive a workbook which has Scroll Lock on. Then it's a trip to the On Screen Keyboard to turn the thing off.

May the scroll lock functionality of Excel sizzle in hell with piranhas nibbling at its entrails for eternity.
-----------
Wim Gielis
MVP

Post by Wim Gielis »

Next to Insert, the Caps Lock key is a good alternative too, yet I prefer Insert.
I have another one, that is the key that has a power 2 and (with Shift) power 3. On my keyboard, it's located just above the Tab key and below Escape.

My AutoHotKey code to update the TM1p.ini file is simple and as follows:

Code: Select all

^!F11:: ; <-- Update the TM1p.ini file with common settings
{
cPath_TM1p_ini := "C:\Users\WGielis\AppData\Roaming\Applix\TM1\tm1p.ini"
IfNotExist, %cPath_TM1p_ini%
    MsgBox, The TM1p.ini file could not be found at %cPath_TM1p_ini%. The program stops.
Else
    {
       IniWrite, ENG     , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, Language
       IniWrite, F       , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, AllowImportCAMClients
       IniWrite, ""      , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, MainWindowLayoutInfo
       IniWrite, ""      , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, SubsetWindowLayoutInfo
       IniWrite, ""      , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, SecurityAssignmentWindowLayoutInfo

IniWrite, ""       , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, AdminHost
       IniWrite, ""       , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DataBaseDirectory
       IniWrite, ""       , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, PreviousDataDirectories

IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DisplayControlCubes
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DisplayApplications
       IniWrite, T        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DisplayCubes
       IniWrite, T        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DisplayDimensions
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DisplayReplications
       IniWrite, T        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DisplayProcesses
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DisplayChores
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, DisplayExplorerPropertiesWindow

IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, ShowDynamicSubsetWarning
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, ShowAliasAttributeWarning
       IniWrite, T        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, ShowChoresSchedulingWarning
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, ShowPickOperationWarning
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, ShowProcessUNASCIIWarning
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, ShowProcessUNODBCWarning
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, ShowAdminHostChangeWarning

IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, AdvancedRulesEditor
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, IntegratedLogin
       IniWrite, F        , %cPath_TM1p_ini%, TM1, BrowseDisplayReadsRightToLeft
    }
}
return
Settings that do not exist in the ini file, are automatically added. Otherwise they are updated.
If you paste this code in Notepad++ it will be aligned regarding spaces.
Ctrl-Alt-F11 launches the code. The other possibility is pressing Insert and a userform pops up. Entering a certain number there also starts the tool.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024