TM1 Perspective Vs Pax

kavitha2002
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10.3.10100.8
Excel Version: 14

TM1 Perspective Vs Pax

Post by kavitha2002 » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:06 pm

Hello,

I am running the excel which has some worksheet function to pull data from TM1 and generate the report. I am performing this via vb.net code,excel sheets are protected with password, the problem is tm1 perspective working fine without prompting password, but for tm1 pax login is prompted for excel sheets.

Any idea. Why??

Paul Segal
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2010

Re: TM1 Perspective Vs Pax

Post by Paul Segal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:57 am

This is a bug. IBM said it had been fixed in PAX 11.0.33, but it's still there in 11.0.38. I've just (re)raised the defect with IBM.
Paul

Paul Segal
Community Contributor

Post by Paul Segal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:33 am

So an update from support/development:
Excel prevents the dropdown from rendering on a protected sheet. This has been the behavior for past releases as well except before the fix for Defect 80174 (it is PI96773), it would prompt on selection. Once a password has been entered, the dropdowns will start rendering again. For an unlocked cell, you can edit the SUBNM formula directly or do it through the set editor after entering the unlock password. One caveat is that if the sheet is protected with no password then the dropdowns will render without a problem. This is because our protection preserver has a case where it tries to unlock with String.Empty. which succeeds when no password is set. Below are some cases to define these new behaviors.

Protected with Password
1.) Unlocked cell on protected sheet- No drop down shows, opening the set editor is allowed after entering password, and editing the formula is allowed.
2.) Unlocked cell after entering password- drop down shows, no need to enter password again through set editor, editing formula is allowed.
3.) Locked cell- No drop down shows, can't edit formula, can't open set editor.
4.) Locked cell after entering password- no dropdown shows, set editor can be opened but changes are not applied on apply and close (no message), cannot change formulas. Sheet must be unprotected through the Review tab first.

Protected without a Password
1.) Unlocked cell on protected sheet- Drop down shows, opening the set editor is allowed, and editing the formula is allowed.
2.) Locked cell- no dropdown shows, set editor can be opened but changes are not applied on apply and close (no message), cannot change formulas
I struggle to understand the logic here. If I have a protected sheet with an unprotected cell then by design I want the user to be able to access the unprotected cell, including using the set editor and dropdown if it contains a SUBNM formula. Why would I want them to put a password in if I've explicitly unprotected the cell? Am I missing something?
Paul

Paul Segal
Community Contributor

Post by Paul Segal » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:54 am

So, apparently this is expected behavior and there's no plan to change it. I'd rather have the Perspectives behavior and no drop-down myself. I'm going to raise an RFE. *sigh*
Paul

Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2., PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:11 pm

Hi Paul,

Feel your pain on this one, behaviour on a unlocked cell irrespective of a password being set should be the same, i.e. "everything" works, can't see any justification for it being otherwise.

Arbitrary flipping of defects into RFE is pretty rage inducing.....it would be interesting to know what the internal policy is wrt to this process. We would then have something to base our arguments on.

One thing I have learnt when raising an issue is to never propose a solution as it appears to be short road to an RFE.

If it was me I would reopen the case and fight my corner.

kavitha2002
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: 10.3.10100.8
Excel Version: 14

Post by kavitha2002 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:50 am

Hello @Paul,

Thanks for detailed info.