Perfromance Modeler lags when editing rule

vladino
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Perfromance Modeler lags when editing rule

Post by vladino »

Hi guys,
I'm experiencing lags when editing a rule in PM. Every single character has a delay of few seconds (i.e. when I type "STET" I need to wait approx 10s to see the result in the rule).

The issue appears only on quite large rules (more than 1000 lines). When I try to edit the same rule in Architect there is no such behavior (even in advanced rule editor).

Does anyone now why there are lags and how to fix this?

Appreciate any help!

BR
Vladino
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Perfromance Modeler lags when editing rule

Post by jim wood »

Well you wouldn't get it in architect as your'e opening a text document. It'd have to be huge to give you some lag. As PM it kind of makes sense. It needs to refresh the whole file rather than just what's on display. I would check your network connection between the server and your machine. It could be something like security software checking the file each time you change it?
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
vladino

Post by vladino »

jim wood wrote:Well you wouldn't get it in architect as your'e opening a text document. It'd have to be huge to give you some lag. As PM it kind of makes sense. It needs to refresh the whole file rather than just what's on display. I would check your network connection between the server and your machine. It could be something like security software checking the file each time you change it?
Hi Jim,
thanks for your quick reply.

I didn't mentioned - the environment is in the cloud (i.e. it is TM1 in the cloud). I can ask IBM support team if network connection or security software could be the problem but I don't think so. Other rules (nearly the same no. of lines) don't have such lags.

There's one thing that could be the problem - there are many IFs in the rule (we have to calculate measures differently for specific products according to the hierarchy - ELISANC is the function we are using a lot). Do you think this might be the reason?

BR
Vladino
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7

Post by jim wood »

vladino wrote:I didn't mentioned - the environment is in the cloud (i.e. it is TM1 in the cloud).
Ah ok, that changes things a bit then.
vladino wrote: I can ask IBM support team if network connection or security software could be the problem but I don't think so. Other rules (nearly the same no. of lines) don't have such lags.
I mentioned that as it seemed to sound like it was directly related to the size of the rule.
vladino wrote: There's one thing that could be the problem - there are many IFs in the rule (we have to calculate measures differently for specific products according to the hierarchy - ELISANC is the function we are using a lot). Do you think this might be the reason?
It shouldn't be, but I wouldn't ignore it. A rule is, as I mentioned, just text at the end of the day, but PM builds link and all that kind of good stuff so it may handle the rule differently,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
vladino

Post by vladino »

jim wood wrote: It shouldn't be, but I wouldn't ignore it. A rule is, as I mentioned, just text at the end of the day, but PM builds link and all that kind of good stuff so it may handle the rule differently
Is there anything else that might cause this issue?
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

If it isn't obvious already. Kill off your use of performance modler for editing rules.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.