Invalid key dimension error

dilip
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Invalid key dimension error

Post by dilip »

In the message error log file after I ran the TI process..I got the very common error..which I have seen many times...The error description is like this..."Invalid key dimension:month......or any other dimension name.....

What is the cause of this type of errror...?

What will be the resolution to these type of errors?

Inspite of this error sometimes data loads in cube but sometimes not...anyone know the reason?

I don't have a case right now..In morning same error I got...but data does not get loaded..when i got this error I changed the element type as string from simple..then also the same error..I was stucked at this point...
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Invalid key dimension error

Post by declanr »

It means an element your code states exists in a dimension doesn't exist in said dimension.
Declan Rodger
sachin
OLAP Product: Transformer,SSAS, EP, TM1
Version: 7.3 2005 10.1 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2013

Post by sachin »

dilip wrote:
What will be the resolution to these type of errors?
In the row of your datasource, which your Data tab is processing, it encountered an element which does not exist in the corresponding dimension, yet. In your case it could be that you have data for Aug 2015, while Aug 2015 does not exist in the dimension. Or it appeared like 2015 Aug, while your element was Aug 2015 - there could be other scenarios as well. Or quite simply you mapped the element to the wrong dimension!
dilip wrote:
I don't have a case right now..In morning same error I got...but data does not get loaded..when i got this error I changed the element type as string from simple..then also the same error..I was stucked at this point...
Changing the element type will not help address your issue, not sure why you went that route. There are few ways to fix these kind of errors. In your data tab check for the existence of the element in the dimension before doing anything. If it does not exist, then
  1. perhaps skip the row entirely
  2. move it to a common bucket which holds values of all such occurrences or
  3. simply insert the element using DimensionElementInsertDirect before doing any operation
A good idea is to build your metadata first before loading your data into the cube(s). This is assuming whatever job that produces your data is taking care of master tables from which your metadata is built!
Check out my blog for some good information on TM1, SPSS
dilip
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003

Post by dilip »

Thanks sachin and declanr..for this post...
BariAbdul
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM TM1, Planning Analytics, P
Version: PAW 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2019

Post by BariAbdul »

A good idea is to build your metadata first before loading your data into the cube(s). This is assuming whatever job that produces your data is taking care of master tables from which your metadata is built!
Again this is not hard and fast rule , But the best practice is to have separate processes to handle metada update and data load.Thanks
"You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying......"
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

BariAbdul wrote: Again this is not hard and fast rule , But the best practice is to have separate processes to handle metada update and data load.Thanks
Is it?

I tend to find the phrase "best practice" when spoken by people in a TM1 context can often be a slight exaggeration.
In this case it's probably a "fair comment" but I would still go with a horses for courses approach.
Declan Rodger