Ankit Sinha
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: Office 2013

TI Performance Tuning

Post by Ankit Sinha »

HI All,

Please help me with the below scenario:

I was trying to fine tune my TI code, while doing that i observed that prolog takes time to get completed if there is any code written in metadata (even a simplest one eg A=1;) where as case when there no code present out there in metadata, prolog gets over within a few seconds. Why is it so? Is it a expected behavior of TI?

Specifically "Completing Prolog"is the status which i see for the long time i.e for couple of minutes at least.

Thanks,
Ankit

Ankit Please post in the correct forum
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: TI Performance Tuning

Post by Wim Gielis »

What is the data source of the process when you use the Metadata tab ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: TI Performance Tuning

Post by Alan Kirk »

Ankit Sinha wrote: Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:08 am Specifically "Completing Prolog"is the status which i see for the long time i.e for couple of minutes at least.
You can't trust that. Remember that these actions are happening on the server, while the dialogs are on the client. Sending exact, precise, up to the minute information about what is happening is not the server's top priority. It feeds back some information to give you a general idea of what it's up to, but you can't trust it beyond that. If you want more exact information you need to go to something like TM1 Top. Hence Wim's question. It is almost certain that the delay is not caused by the prolog running for an extended time, but because of the Metadata tab being processed.
if there is any code written in metadata (even a simplest one eg A=1;)
The code is not the only determining factor. If the data source is a huge text file, it will still take time to be read. If it's a cube view with rules or consolidation-based elements, it will take time to calculate, and even longer if you have a dynamic subset in the view. If it's an ODBC connection to an external database then each row will still have to be retrieved even if you don't do anything with it, and so on.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.