}CellSecurity

AskAndAnswer
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0...
Excel Version: 2016

}CellSecurity

Post by AskAndAnswer »

Hello,

I was reviewing one of the clients' databases and ran into a }CellSecurity cube that contains several dimensions including }Groups and }CellSecurity. I am not mistaken, it's a cell security cube without _CubeName at the end. There is also a cube }DepartmentID that is used like a regular cube except it has "}" in the name.

How do you create these cubes?

Thank you.
BariAbdul
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM TM1, Planning Analytics, P
Version: PAW 2.0.8
Excel Version: 2019

Re: }CellSecurity

Post by BariAbdul »

Hi ,It is basically a control cube, please go through below links for further details:

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... _cube.html

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... 60ac2.html Thanks
"You Never Fail Until You Stop Trying......"
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9

Post by Elessar »

Hello!

You can create cubes and dimensions with forbidden "}" using TI (CubeCreate and DimensionCreate functions)
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Creation and manipulation of such control dimensions and control cubes is done in TI,
but in any case it's a good way to hide some parts of the model.
For example, lots of subsets on a certain dimension that are not to be accessed by users.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
AskAndAnswer

Post by AskAndAnswer »

BariAbdul, I know how to create cell security cubes, this cube is general, not created for any of the existing cubes.

Wim Gielis, thank you for the hint about TI. I understand the purpose, but not sure how it works. Is the functionality the same as if it was a CellSecurity cube without "}", and security from it should be ruled to the other cubes (I don't see any rules that refer to it), or it actually automatically applies security to all cubes that have the same dimensions?
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

AskAndAnswer wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:03 pm Wim Gielis, thank you for the hint about TI. I understand the purpose, but not sure how it works. Is the functionality the same as if it was a CellSecurity cube without "}", and security from it should be ruled to the other cubes (I don't see any rules that refer to it), or it actually automatically applies security to all cubes that have the same dimensions?
What has happened is that a developer has created a cube via the TI function CubeCreate; they have prefixed it with a } to hide it within the control objects. The name of the cube could be absolutely anything such as }turnips.
It isn't a standard part of the security or control model but something that a previous developer in your system has decided to create, as such it may be involved with security but if it is - it is only involved in whatever way that developer set up.
TM1 will not do anything with it by default as TM1 is not expecting it to be there.
Sadly without access to your system; no one here will be able to explain what it is actually doing in the same way they wouldn't be able to tell you what any of the cubes you have created (non control ones) are doing.
Declan Rodger
AskAndAnswer

Post by AskAndAnswer »

declanr, thank you. I have not seen the cubes like that, that's why I asked thinking it might be a new TM1 feature that did not exist before. Actually, a great idea that could be borrowed by IBM :). Instead of creating cell security for each cube, just have one or two that will control only main dimensions. I can see a use for it.
If it behaves like a regular cube, I have no more questions. Thank you, everyone, for your help.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

You can already create a cell security cube with only the relevant dimensions. But it’s one such cube for every non-control cube that needs this cell security. However what you can easily do is set up a regular cube and rule the cell security cubes to look at that small lookup cube. These cube rules code will be rather easy to copy-paste.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

If I were a betting man I would put a wager on the reason the developer created this cube was as a base cube for a bunch of other cell security cubes for cubes that share the same dimensionality. You set the security here and then rule it over to the actual }CellSecurity_XXX cubes. I have done the exact thing before, I just didn't give my cube a name starting with "}".
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/