kenship
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

Alias update and stargate view

Post by kenship »

Hi,

I have a TI process that transfer data from input cube to report cube, it's run every 5 min.

I have another TI process that updates alias of a certain dimension every 10 min.

I have noticed that the time needed to execute the input to report cube process is significantly more after alias update process executes. I suspect the stargate view needs to be rebuilt.

My question is: is there any way to update the alias without interrupting the stargate view?
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Alias update and stargate view

Post by jim wood »

I'm pretty certain that the system regards an alias change as meta change and would lock down the system. It may be taking longer as it will wait for any user activity to end before executing where as a data load (unless you're updating a dimension) will go in as a thread and will not halt user activity.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

I'm not sure at this time about user activity as there's only one user in the instance for now.

The alias update process takes 0.00s from start to finish so I believe this is not the problem.
But I noticed every time after the alias update process is run, the input to report cube process (which includes the dimension updated by the alias update process) takes much much more time to finish.

Thanks.

Kenneth
jim wood wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:38 pm I'm pretty certain that the system regards an alias change as meta change and would lock down the system. It may be taking longer as it will wait for any user activity to end before executing where as a data load (unless you're updating a dimension) will go in as a thread and will not halt user activity.
macsir
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

Can you check if there is lock contention which is causing the delay?
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
Elessar
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: PA 2
Version: 2.0.9
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Elessar »

I think updating an alias (like updating a rule) will purge all the affected stargates: rules use element aliases, so the calculated data may change after the "alias update".

You can turn ON the stargate logging and see how "alias changing" affects the stargates.
Sachin has described the stargate logging very well in his blog: https://everanalytics.wordpress.com/201 ... _deepdive/
Best regards, Alexander Dvoynev

TM1 and Data Science blog: 6th article - PAfE + VBA: Commit each cell without pressing “Commit” button.
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Elessar wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:33 am I think updating an alias (like updating a rule) will purge all the affected stargates: rules use element aliases, so the calculated data may change after the "alias update".

You can turn ON the stargate logging and see how "alias changing" affects the stargates.
Sachin has described the stargate logging very well in his blog: https://everanalytics.wordpress.com/201 ... _deepdive/
This is useful, thanks. I guess this is something I have to live with.