Poll : Which version of Excel is used in your business

Which version of Excel is used in your business?

Older than Excel 2010
4%
Excel 2010 and have already moved to the Planning Analytics series.
12%
Excel 2010 and am on the TM1 series of releases.
31%
Excel 2013
15%
Excel 2016
38%

Total votes: 26

Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Poll : Which version of Excel is used in your business

Post by Steve Rowe »

It would appear that IBM are withdrawing support of Excel 2010 for both Perspectives and PAx in the Planning Analytics release as from 1st of March 2018.

I don't think this has been announced anywhere but it can seen as a footnote in the prerequisites section of the Software Product Compatibility Report / Detailed System Requirements.

Not sure how big a deal this, so thought it worth running a poll to get some idea of the impact.
We're a little concerned because we still encounter prospects on Excel 2010 and won't have a product for them soon.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Re: Poll : Which version of Excel is used in your business

Post by Paul Segal »

It's not a single answer question for us - Citrix is running 2010 and local installs are running 2013 (I know..) I'm aiming to roll out PA this year and make it all local, but we're still testing, so March might be a little tight. I would ideally expect a longer notice period from IBM.
Paul
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Also not a straight forward answer as many of my clients have a blend of either 2010/2013 or 2013/2016 - there are some 2007 still floating around. At this stage, only TM1 series out there so not too concerned, yet.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

I suppose it had to happen eventually since 2010 is now 8 years in the past, though it's still arguably the most stable and predictable version out there. 2013 AND ITS ALL CAPS, ALL YELLING TABS was gone before anyone really knew that it was here; I never did use it operationally and I doubt that much end user development was done on it in the wider scheme of things. The biggest problem with 2016 (from an Iboglix support point of view) is the way it forked between the boxed version, and the Office 365 version since the latter is constantly being updated with new features and can therefore change unpredictably. And we've already seen how that can turn out. (Though to the credit of all concerned, the turnaround on that fix was relatively quick. I think people may feel differently if they were using the 365 incarnation of Excel 16 operationally, though; fast isn't fast enough.) And of course 2019 will be out (in pre-release) some time in the next 6 months. I wonder what features Microsloth will pull from that one? (The removal of offline help and the Recent Folders features being the two that have gotten up users' noses more than most.) I don't hate 2016, but I don't like it either. The main reason that I use it is that the language packs work really well in Word, which helps if I'm writing in Italian. Other than that, I prefer 2010.

Which is fortunate, because my workplace dumped the MS Office oriented workplace in favour of Google... uh, what do they call it this week? Oh yeah, GSuite. The G Suite apps are for the most part a pathetic joke compared to the raw performance of Office, but they're generally good enough for those who don't need to create complex documents or do intensive analysis work. This means that we have a shedload of unused licences... but they're all for Office 2010. And since this was principally a cost cutting exercise, I do not see upgrades in the foreseeable future.

For mine... I have no intention of going PA2 at any time in the foreseeable future either. I addressed this on my YouTube channel last week. I can get the server / perspectives / client / architect to work. I cannot get Web to work yet (yay Websphere Liberty) and it doesn't help that I'm not seeing what the manual says I should be seeing. The installation manual that is over 372 pages long. As opposed to the SQL Server installation manual, which is a dialog. (Yes, there are documents available but unlike with PA2, you don't need to read them. because the install process is so smooth and easy.) And after the last nightmarish experience I haven't even begun making a new attempt with PAW and PAX yet. As I said, they'll probably work if I throw enough time at them "not that I should have to, but that's a separate conversation". Sort of. I was discussing the issue with someone at the last Cubewise conference. I can't remember which one of us said it but both of us were thinking it; the benefits of PA2 just aren't worth the effort in getting the accursed thing working. For me, it's 10.2.2 and 2010 for the foreseeable future.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Just to throw a spanner in the works I use Office 2011 on my mac :oops:
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

jim wood wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:45 pm Just to through a spanner in the works I use Office 2011 on my mac :oops:
Yes, but that's because the gods hate you and have decided to give you an early taste of Hell.

(So how well does Perspectives work on that? ;) )
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

Alan Kirk wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm I addressed this on my YouTube channel last week.
I'd love to watch your shows/webisodes/whatever they're called. Not just to learn more about this topic but also to see if you really do look just like Mark Harmon.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

tomok wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am
Alan Kirk wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:20 pm I addressed this on my YouTube channel last week.
I'd love to watch your shows/webisodes/whatever they're called. Not just to learn more about this topic but also to see if you really do look just like Mark Harmon.
Right hair colour
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

tomok wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:57 am
FaceToCamera2.jpg
FaceToCamera2.jpg (96.95 KiB) Viewed 5314 times
I did briefly consider doing a data management riff on Roberto Tartaglione's Grammatica Caffè series, but I don't have that kind of space and the lighting is a pain in the backside to do. So you'll have to make do with Max.
-----------