kenship
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.7
Excel Version: 2010

TI Process Put Value In Rule Based Cell

Post by kenship »

Hi,

I have a cube that uses rule to calculate $ based on volume and rate from other cubes.

When budget is finalized and to be rolled for a new version I need to maintain a copy of calculated result mentioned above.

But since these cells are rule based I believe the TI will have trouble "hard coding" these cells as they are locked.

I can only think of using another cube to store these hard coded values. I wonder if there's a way to copy these rule based cells unto itself using TI.

The rules will skip these cells once rollover process is completed.

Thank you.
ascheevel
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Re: TI Process Put Value In Rule Based Cell

Post by ascheevel »

We use static versions (no rules) to hold archived forecasts. If you must use the same version, you could export to file (be sure not to skip rule calculated), do the rollover so rule no longer applies, and then import from the file you exported.
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Yes that's currently my plan.
ascheevel wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 5:02 pm We use static versions (no rules) to hold archived forecasts. If you must use the same version, you could export to file (be sure not to skip rule calculated), do the rollover so rule no longer applies, and then import from the file you exported.
gtonkin
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

I always have a dimension for Version/Type and it generally contains Actual and Rolling Forecast - Rolling Forecast is generally live with rules, Actual is what is imported from source. Rolling Forecast is populated with Actuals for historic months and STET'ed and Calcs as required by the model. At a point in time, we add a new Version e.g. Budget 2018 which would not have any rules associated, purely STET'ed to hold the values in Rolling Forecast. We run a TI to build a view on Rolling Forecast and copy to the "static" version. Everything lives in one cube allowing side-by-side comparison of versions.
It does mean that you need to include Version in all your planning cubes which if you have an existing model becomes problematic.
Sounds like you already have Versions and are looking along the same lines but may need to tweak the way you deal with Live and Static.
HTH
kenship
Regular Participant

Post by kenship »

Thanks for the suggestion. I will give some thoughts.
For now I've built a archive cube, but will definitely keep your suggestion when I want to tweak it.
gtonkin wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:01 pm I always have a dimension for Version/Type and it generally contains Actual and Rolling Forecast - Rolling Forecast is generally live with rules, Actual is what is imported from source. Rolling Forecast is populated with Actuals for historic months and STET'ed and Calcs as required by the model. At a point in time, we add a new Version e.g. Budget 2018 which would not have any rules associated, purely STET'ed to hold the values in Rolling Forecast. We run a TI to build a view on Rolling Forecast and copy to the "static" version. Everything lives in one cube allowing side-by-side comparison of versions.
It does mean that you need to include Version in all your planning cubes which if you have an existing model becomes problematic.
Sounds like you already have Versions and are looking along the same lines but may need to tweak the way you deal with Live and Static.
HTH