TI process is not getting executed from a Worksheet Application. Please help kind folks!

srp313
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2016

TI process is not getting executed from a Worksheet Application. Please help kind folks!

Post by srp313 »

Hi All,

We have some Worksheet applications which Business uses to execute certain TI Processes. These applications are opened through Perspectives. I have TM1 10.2.2 installed with Microsoft 2016 32 bit ( in a Office 365 ProPlus package).

However, today i have changed some drop-downs in this worksheet and am trying to execute the TI Processes through the Action Button. But i am not getting any results. The logs are not reflecting the running of the TI Process as well.
In all the sheets, Action Buttons are configured to display "Show Success Message" or "Show Failure Message" depending on the success or failure of the TI Process linked to the button.

But i am not getting any messages.

I request your help kind folks!

Thanks,
Srp
Best Regards,
srp
ascheevel
Community Contributor
Version: PA 2.0.9.1
Excel Version: 365

Re: TI process is not getting executed from a Worksheet Application. Please help kind folks!

Post by ascheevel »

Did you open the websheet from the applications menu within perspectives server explorer or did you open it from saved file location? Did you make sure you're connected to the TM1 server the TI processes are to be run from?
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: TI process is not getting executed from a Worksheet Application. Please help kind folks!

Post by tomok »

Are you sure the Action Button is still tied to the TI process? I have had occasions when editing an action button causes it to lose it's linkage to a TI process, especially where you have the server name tied to a cell. Open up the workbook in Perspectives, right-click on the button and make sure it is linked to the process. If the linkage is lost clicking on the button causes nothing to happen, just like you are experiencing. Not saying this is your issue but it's worth looking in to.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
srp313

Post by srp313 »

Thanks ascheevel and Tom for replying!

@ ascheevel -
ascheevel wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:05 pm Did you open the websheet from the applications menu within perspectives server explorer or did you open it from saved file location? Did you make sure you're connected to the TM1 server the TI processes are to be run from?
yes i opened the websheet from the Explorer withing the Perspectives and not from a saved location. And, i had checked the connections as well. I had also tried to disconnect and connect from within the websheet after some time( was checking if that would resolve it by a miracle).

@ tomok -
tomok wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:18 pm Are you sure the Action Button is still tied to the TI process? I have had occasions when editing an action button causes it to lose it's linkage to a TI process, especially where you have the server name tied to a cell. Open up the workbook in Perspectives, right-click on the button and make sure it is linked to the process. If the linkage is lost clicking on the button causes nothing to happen, just like you are experiencing. Not saying this is your issue but it's worth looking in to.
Yes, i had checked the Action Button's properties(which pops up on Right Clicking on the button) to verify the connected TI Process and it was correctly linked.

Its so strange that some websheets are working properly and many websheets are having this problem. I don't know how it is going to get resolved.
Best Regards,
srp
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

Did the changes made to the dropdowns affect the cell(s) the action button references when it runs?

If you adjust the location of the parameters the action button does not automatically update to reflect these changes.

If you run the TI process independently does it work as expected?

What changes did you actually apply to the dropdowns?
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

I would recommend using worksheet scoped named ranges for the process and parameters references. This way, column and rows changes do not affect the Action button.

I have also found that between office versions, the Action Button properties seem to change/break, especially the server reference - double check as a start - sometime it has use a reference ticked but the reference is blanked.
Have you ticked any of the prompt options under Process Options e.g. Show Confirmation Dialog? Does it give you the prompt?
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

One more option is that the work in excel could be a red herring.
I believe if a user pressed an action button when they don’t have access to run the TI; you don’t see any messages in the log... would be nice to see a “Bob can’t run TI x” but at the moment I don’t believe we get that.
Declan Rodger
srp313

Post by srp313 »

Thanks so much Edward, gtonkin and Declan for responding! Sorry i am replying a bit late as i was engrossed with other pressing matters.
Edward Stuart wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:14 am Did the changes made to the dropdowns affect the cell(s) the action button references when it runs?

If you adjust the location of the parameters the action button does not automatically update to reflect these changes.

If you run the TI process independently does it work as expected?

What changes did you actually apply to the dropdowns?
The Actual changes which i made were just changes (addition of certain elements in a dimension) to the data validation range of the dropdown and it does not affect the action button in terms of a reference.

But the TI Process works perfectly when it is run independently.

I have tried updating/replacing the complete websheet as well but the problem persists.
gtonkin wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 7:36 am I would recommend using worksheet scoped named ranges for the process and parameters references. This way, column and rows changes do not affect the Action button.

I have also found that between office versions, the Action Button properties seem to change/break, especially the server reference - double check as a start - sometime it has use a reference ticked but the reference is blanked.
Have you ticked any of the prompt options under Process Options e.g. Show Confirmation Dialog? Does it give you the prompt?
@gtonkin Regarding the checking of prompt options, the options which i have ticked are the "Show Success Message" and "Show Failure Message" ones. Strangely , today when i tried running the process through the Action button , it got executed and both the above prompts came up as well. But the 2nd run onwards, the action button failed to respond.

I could not actually undertand the "worksheet scoped named ranges" part of your reply. Could you please elaborate if possible? As i am a beginner in TM1, each small issue is now getting difficult for me to understand.

Perhaps this would help: I will explain how the Action Button Properties are written in my websheet:

1. TM1 Server field contains "=ServerName"
which it gets from a hidden Control Sheet which contains the Server name.

2. Under Process tab, the TI process name is entered along with the parameters passed to the TI process such as:

Name Value
parEmpName ='Addposition'!$H$17
parDivision = 'Addposition'!$H$18

and so on. Here 'Addposition' is the current sheet name where this action button is present.
declanr wrote: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:51 am One more option is that the work in excel could be a red herring.
I believe if a user pressed an action button when they don’t have access to run the TI; you don’t see any messages in the log... would be nice to see a “Bob can’t run TI x” but at the moment I don’t believe we get that.
@Declan You are absolutely correct, in logs we don't see any information of this sort at present. I believe logs can't be customized in TM1.

I am still not sure what is the problem and it persists.
Best Regards,
srp
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

"worksheet scoped named ranges" relate to named ranges that are valid only on the sheet you define them.
For example, If you have a workbook with multiple sheets and each of them had a Business Date cell for example, you could reference that cell using the cell reference e.g. $B$6 or alternatively, you could create a named range that relates to $B$6 on each sheet e.g. BusinessDate. Your formulas on each sheet could reference BusinessDate and Excel would know that it relates to the current sheet (unless you specify another sheet).

If you go to Name Manager on the Formulas ribbon, you will see that you have a Scope column showing Workbook or the sheet name. When defining a named range, it uses global by default.

Possibly not the best explanation out there but hope this helps - an everyday example of a worksheet scope range would be the print area-different range on each sheet but same name.

In your example, I would create a worksheet scope name for 'Addposition'!$H$17 e.g. EmpName then link the button like:
parEmpName ='Addposition'!EmpName
Moving the contents of $H$17 would automatically update the range linked in your name and the Action Button should carry on functioning.

HTH
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

I'd be checking what is happening something along the follow lines.

If I'm logged in as admin and when I hit the button the TI executes (i.e. I have checked the log and see it runs) then I know the action button is working. If nothing happens server side then the Action button is broken and need to delete and rebuild it.

If I log in as a non-admin and I see that the TI process does not execute in the message logs then I have a security issue I need to resolve.

If the TI is running but not producing the expected results then I need to debug the TI and / or the parameters being passed to it.

At the moment it is not clear what issue you are suffering from. Before I did any investigation I would rebuild the button, they are pretty sensitive change.
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
srp313

Post by srp313 »

Thanks gtonkin and STeve for the replies!

@gtonkin - its a wonderful suggestion you have given me and i got the meaning of it. I am definitely implementing them from now on.

@Steve - I have now deleted very action button and have created all of them again. This has solved the problem for the time being. Yes, i surely agree that this problem of mine is not clear as it is happening intermittently and seemingly on its own whim.

I came across another strange behavior - When i open the Websheets through Architect, they open up in Excel and i open Perspectives just to enable tm1p. This is expected behavior.
However when i click on the Action Button, nothing happens.( I had logged in as an Admin). Then i went to Properties of the Action Button and clicked on the CONNECT button for the TM1 Server.

And voila, the action button then worked. But this should not be the ideal behavior.
Best Regards,
srp