Using your own custom wildcard certificates to secure Planning Analytics with Cognos Analytics Authentication

codingCPA
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Planning Analytics 2.0.21, PAW
Excel Version: Excel 2013

Using your own custom wildcard certificates to secure Planning Analytics with Cognos Analytics Authentication

Post by codingCPA »

Hey Everyone,

Due to the fact there is 0 documentation from IBM for using your own custom domain wildcard certificates to secure your tm1 server and I just spent a while figuring this all out I was wondering if there was any interest in me putting together a walkthrough for all of the steps. I'm not sure if I was just slow on the uptake when it comes to this implementation and this was already just common knowledge because I wasn't able to find any solid resources online during my troubleshooting. It seems like most people stop at securing their dispatcher in IIS and don't bother using their own certificates for the IBM application layer or they use ThirdPartyCertificateTool, which doesn't work with wildcard certificates.

Cheers
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Using your own custom wildcard certificates to secure Planning Analytics with Cognos Analytics Authentication

Post by tomok »

I think most people just say why bother? Do you really need to secure the traffic between your TM1 server and the various clients, especially if everything is behind a firewall? Even if it's not behind a firewall, do you need it to be more secure than it would be using the IBM certificates? Even if someone were able to intercept packets inside your TM1 framework, what would it gain them. A bunch of numbers minus context is worthless.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/