Questions for Code editor (TI/Rule)

jimhung777
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2013

Questions for Code editor (TI/Rule)

Post by jimhung777 »

Hello~
I have no idea what kind of code editor would be easy for everyone to write code and possibly has version control.
The one I am using to write TM1 code is Notepad++.
It's great but I still look for others possible more suitable for me.
Is there any code editor better than Notepad++ ??
Could anyone please kindly recommend me ??

Thanks a lot. :D :D :D
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Questions for Code editor (TI/Rule)

Post by Wim Gielis »

In PAW, the TI editor is / will be improved greatly: coloring, function completion, showing the needed arguments of functions, and so on.

Myself, I use Notepad++ with a TM1 language addon. I have an automatic way of copy/paste TI and rules code to a (new) Notepad++ document with the TM1 language activated, and an automatic way to go back to TI and rules. It doesn't work 100% reliably all the time but when it fails, I copy/paste manually :-)
This is enough for me.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
jimhung777

Post by jimhung777 »

Thank you, Wim.

Recently I just study on how to create self-defined grammars for Atom since it has version control function.

Is there a possible way to convert UDL(User Define Language) from Notepad++ to Atom's grammars and CSS coloring?

:D :D :D
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello

I don't know Atom so I am not in the position to answer this question, unfortunately.
Maybe others have experience with it.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
macsir
MVP
Version: PAL 2.0.9
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by macsir »

jimhung777 wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:33 am Thank you, Wim.

Recently I just study on how to create self-defined grammars for Atom since it has version control function.

Is there a possible way to convert UDL(User Define Language) from Notepad++ to Atom's grammars and CSS coloring?

:D :D :D
Atom is good and I use it as my default programming editor at home. However, as PAW is the future and has more improved syntax highlighting functions, I won't bother to think a way to convert from Notepad++ to Atom.
In TM1,the answer is always yes though sometimes with a but....
http://tm1sir.blogspot.com.au/
jimhung777

Post by jimhung777 »

Thanks for both responses above.

Due to several reasons, my company chooses to stay on TM1 10.2.2 which is unavailable to colorful syntax in the TI editor like in PAW.

That's why I need to find another editor for coding. And possibly the most convenient way is still Notepad++ for now.

:)
thomaskday
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics Local
Version: PA2 Local 2.0910, PAW 2.074
Excel Version: 2016 and 365

Post by thomaskday »

Hi jimhung777

There is a workaround, whereby in 10.2.2 or in PA2 Local you can use advanced rule editor with Architect. However, it is not a viable solution for every user.

The workaround is by installing Architect client before Office and Perspectives are installed on your client PC. You will also need to enable advance rule editor in your tm1p.ini file (AdvancedRulesEditor = T) and log into TM1 with Architect. It works just fine. One caveat, if you open a rule in Perspectives it will crash your Excel session. All other Perspectives functionality works just fine.

Yes, I appreciate IBM will deprecate Architect /Perspectives sometime soon. Yes, I appreciate that PA2 and Workspace is the future, but we are still waiting for some bugs to be fixed (active form client memory runaway), missing PAX features (drill through) along with security mode 6 before we fully embrace PAX/PAW.

For what its worth we are using PA2 local with Perspectives client for the time being. I expect we will fully embrace PAX/PAW early in the new year with 2.0.30 or 31. (current release is 2.0.28).

Hope this helps.
Thomas
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Hi Thomas, would you mind giving some more detail on the use case for active form client memory runaway?
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
thomaskday
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics Local
Version: PA2 Local 2.0910, PAW 2.074
Excel Version: 2016 and 365

PAX Active Form Client Runaway Memory

Post by thomaskday »

Steve Rowe wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:24 am Hi Thomas, would you mind giving some more detail on the use case for active form client memory runaway?
Sure Steve.

In PA2 Local there is a known bug in PAX client relating to active forms consuming all available client memory. If you have an active form with more than 1 dimension nested on the rowset, with zero suppression turned on, the active form will runaway and consume all available client memory until Excel fails. It consumed all 16gb on my notebook. The cube was small and sparse.

I came across this by accident doing testing between Perspectives and PAX. The same Active form in Perspectives works fine.

The bug is serverside, not client side. The root cause is when the server is returning the data call it is not doing so efficiently (zero suppression is not working as it should). The active form is fetching all records and not just those after zero suppression.

I raised a PMR and finally was advised it was a known issue. I also spoke with an IBM Worldwide Technical Executive who confirmed there are 2 fixes coming. One is a workaround for PAX (being released very shortly) which will require a change to any existing active forms. This is not really practical if you have many active forms in production! The second is a proper server-side fix which is expected sometime early next year.

We want to go "all in" with PAX/PAW, but have 3 items causing us to wait. Active form issue above, cube drill through in PAX (missing feature) and the pending security mode 6. We have deployed PA2 local (TM1 Server 11.0.002) with Perspectives. Looking forward to working with PAX and PAW when these updates are made.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Thomas