Seeking idea for users management in multiple instances

yyround
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.8
Excel Version: MS 2016

Seeking idea for users management in multiple instances

Post by yyround »

Hi all,

We have 5 TM1 instances in both acceptance and production environment.

Our organisation has purchased X amount of admin licences and Y amount of write licences. Some users use more than 1 instance.

We are looking for a way (preferable free) to manage the user in all instances under both environments. Ideally the end product is like a page that shows list of users on the left, and in the column, list the instance in each environment. That page can allow us to create or delete user as well.

Has anyone got any idea? any kinda of ideas are welcome (we really want to do it in house instead of purchasing a tool but not sure whether it is possible).

Much appreciated!

YY
orlando
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Seeking idea for users management in multiple instances

Post by orlando »

Hi YY,

here the same. I'm working on an "Admin" environment.
There I have all users (of all TM1 environments) and environments in dimensions. Via a cube I track which user uses which environment.
In the near future I want this for the complete user management (add/del clients, change password, etc...)

Hope this helps for finding ideas.

Best regards,
orlando
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

You are talking about a business application designed to manage users and security across multiple TM1 instances. You can build your own application for this, and many larger TM1 shops certainly have. However if you want a OOTB solution to just drop in then commercial products typically have a price tag with a value higher than "free". You may PM me if you want information about a ready made (not free) solution.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
yyround

Post by yyround »

Thank you very much guys for your input.

Orlando, can I please ask you to elaborate a bit more on how you "track which user uses which environment via a cube?"

Regards
YY
orlando
Community Contributor
Version: PAL 2.0.8

Post by orlando »

Hi yy,

of course.
There is a TI-Process in each enviroment, that exports all users (and the groups they belong to) to an csv file.
I import theses files to a cube in the admin enviroment. This cube contains three dimensions: the enviroments, the users and a measure dim.
Via the measure dim i track wether the user is a "normal" user or an admin.
Via the RunTI I start all the processes from the admin enviroment.

Does it help?

Regards
orlando
yyround

Post by yyround »

Thanks orlando,

That really helps, I now have an idea of how to start tackling this.

Much appreciated!

YY
Mark RMBC
Community Contributor
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: Excel 2010

Post by Mark RMBC »

I have built a TM1 instance that works very similar to Orlando except I have the Access Type as a dimension, so Admin, Read and Write are the elements in this dimension. The measure dimension is simply a 1 or 0 access flag. We also have a comments measure.

This means I have 3 cubes, one that details the clients and what instances they have access to, a cube that provides a unique count of Access types by client (using a rule to DB the details cube) and finally a very high level cube that compares available licences to Access type (using a rule to DB the unique count cube). We then send out alerts should the access be greater than the licences!

Like Orlando each of our instances has a process that exports all the client info to a csv in a particular folder, this is achieved via a loop over the client dimension and an inner loop over the groups dimension, with each loop there is a cellgets from clientgroups to get the group and a cellgetn from clientproperties to get the read only measure. All these csv’s are prefixed with ClientDetails followed by the server name.

Therefore on the import process I do a wildcardfilesearch for ClientDetails and load in the data appropriately.

This is all automated and requires no actual admin support.
yyround

Post by yyround »

Hi Mark,

Awesome!
That is very detailed and thanks a lot for your time and patience. I will bring it back for discussion.

Regards
YY