Cube Size

Jorge Rachid
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2013

Cube Size

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Hi all,

I have a cube with 9 dimensions and even with feeders it is slow.

There is some way to see if there are a lot of overfeeders? Because for me I was expecting a better performance.

Please advise.

JR
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Cube Size

Post by tomok »

Jorge Rachid wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:47 pm Hi all,

I have a cube with 9 dimensions and even with feeders it is slow.

There is some way to see if there are a lot of overfeeders? Because for me I was expecting a better performance.

Please advise.

JR
It's amazing what you can find when you take the time to open the Google site and type in "Overfeeding in TM1".
http://www.tm1forum.com/viewtopic.php?t=4002
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Jorge Rachid

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Thank you.

It is because it not only about overfed, could be another thing that I have to check to improve the performance.

Thanks for your time.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

While Tom's answer was very shall we say, to the point, the point is still valid. Based on the (lack) detail you've given us it's difficult to draw any other conclusion. We have a guide on how to ask questions on here. I'm pointing this out, not to be funny or anything like that, I just want to make sure you get the best possible result from the willing volunteers on the forum. Help us, help you.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

Cube performance may not always be to do with Feeders and as Jim suggests, context is useful. Without context I'd advise you reduce the number of dimensions to improve performance...

Some reading that may or may not be of use

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=cogno ... e&ie=UTF-8

http://ykud.com/blog/cognos/tm1-cognos/ ... ance-today

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21454290

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgece ... 80007.html
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

Edward Stuart wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:33 pm Cube performance may not always be to do with Feeders and as Jim suggests, context is useful. Without context I'd advise you reduce the number of dimensions to improve performance
The OP states they have 9 dimensions which let's face it isn't very many. I wouldn't jump to any conclusion that reducing dimension count would help. Yes there's an undeniable overhead and performance degradation of each additional dimension due to building the trie structure BUT TM1 still handles sparsity remarkably well and this overhead although there really is minimal when measured as comparable retrieval time. I see cubes every day with 25 dimensions still performing really well. I would look somewhere else first. But as others have already said the OP needs to actually provide some relevant information if he expects actual help.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Jorge Rachid

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Hi guys,

I am trying to use conditional feeders and I've already try to find somehting at internet and I found some examples but I am still not understanding how to do this.

I have a dimension with 10 companies, but only 2 of them have prices. And this prices I have to fed another cube and I would like to put this condition to do the feeder to avoid overfeeding.

I was trying something like this:

['Price'] => DB (IF(['Price'] > 0 , DB('Destination Cube', !Dim1, !Dim2, !Dim3, 'Price'),0);

There are some mistakes that I don't know how to solve. Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot,

JR
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Well the syntax would be:

Code: Select all

['Price'] => DB (IF(['Price'] > 0 , 'Destination Cube', ''), !Dim1, !Dim2, !Dim3, 'Price');

But if price is zero it wouldn't trigger a feeder anyway so it doesn't need to be conditional.

Also you normally wouldn't feed to or from price as you don't need them to add up and if you do feed price every intersection would be fed even where there is no volume and price isn't needed... just feed Revenue etc from volume and ignore price.
Declan Rodger
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Jorge Rachid wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm ...

['Price'] => DB (IF(['Price'] > 0 , DB('Destination Cube', !Dim1, !Dim2, !Dim3, 'Price'),0);
Do you expect negative prices? Guessing not, so only cells with prices would trigger the feeder anyway, you do not need to check for non-zero. TM1 by default limits non-zero areas based on how you have defined the left (source) of your feeder.
Doing what you have just done will cause TM1 to evaluate very combination in your cube for price - 9 dimensions = lots of waiting.
Edit-looks like Declan and I were responding at the same time but echo the same sentiment.
Jorge Rachid

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Thank you guys.

But the weird point here is because I did the aux cube to check overfeeder where 1 on cell means overfeed and even when the price is 0 the cell is overfed.

If TM1 not consider zero values to fed why I am getting 1 on these cells? Any suggestion?

Thanks a lot,

JR
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

Jorge Rachid wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:49 pm Hi guys,

I am trying to use conditional feeders and I've already try to find somehting at internet and I found some examples but I am still not understanding how to do this.

I have a dimension with 10 companies, but only 2 of them have prices. And this prices I have to fed another cube and I would like to put this condition to do the feeder to avoid overfeeding.

There are some mistakes that I don't know how to solve. Can anybody help?

Thanks a lot,

JR
Please follow the Request for assistance guidelines and stop using pseudo code as by doing this you are literally making it impossible to get proper help.

Assuming Company is Dim1, 2, or 3 (stop using pseudo code!) then as others pointed out you would never need to do this as the WHOLE POINT OF FEEDERS is that you feed from where data is to where data isn't. If there's no data at the source then you don't get no feeding so such a check would be redundant and make no sense at all.
Last edited by lotsaram on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
Jorge Rachid

Post by Jorge Rachid »

Ok, I understood.

Sorry about that and thank you.