Upcoming server migration

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Upcoming server migration

Post by Martin Ryan »

Just to let you know that I'll be moving the forum to a new server in the next few weeks. Not quite sure when, depends on availability. I'll post on the forum Twitter and Facebook accounts before I start so if you find the forum's disappeared check there if that's the reason.

I'm hoping to do it in one evening, but it might take a couple as I'll try to squeeze the forum software upgrade in there too.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Re: Upcoming server migration

Post by Martin Ryan »

Seems to have gone successfully this time. Welcome to the new digs. This server is now based in the States, Seattle I think, so might be a bit faster for the top half of the world(?)

I've also upgraded the forum version hence the slightly update skin. Let me know if you spot anything funny.

I've still got to get the advertising working again and also the emails - I don't think they come through automatically after an update.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

Hi Martin,

Advertising seems to be working, but I don't appear to be getting emails from the forum. Not that there's a rush...

While I'm here, thanks for the work and effort you put into this.

Best

Paul
Paul
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I just had another crack at the emails, but I keep coming up against brick walls. I won't be able to get to it tomorrow either so hopefully will get to it over the weekend.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Thank you Martin
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Martin Ryan wrote: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 am I just had another crack at the emails, but I keep coming up against brick walls. I won't be able to get to it tomorrow either so hopefully will get to it over the weekend.
Martin,

Is it a port issue?

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Don't think so. Still having trouble. Any Linux gurus out there who want to give me a hand? Send me a PM.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Progress! You were right Jim, it was a port issue. Turns out the VM provider was blocking 25. I've got it opened up and can now send emails from the server.

It's still not quite configured right for the forum. You might get some emails, but they'll be the useless ones telling you there's a new post, but not what's in it. And there'll only be one until you revisit the site.

I'm done for the night, will come back to it another evening.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7

Post by jim wood »

Fantastic news!!!! Well done Martin. We're all busy and I know you're even more busy. You know we (the admins) appreciate this and the hard work you put in to the migration. I just hope the wider community appreciates it as well.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

I for one appreciate having this forum available to me. Thanks Martin and everyone else who keep it running smoothly.
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

Email notifications working again :D
Please place all requests for help in a public thread. I will not answer PMs requesting assistance.
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

I am receiving emails but it looks like there is a setting to be tweaked as I receive:
Hello gtonkin,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic "Upcoming server migration" at "TM1 Forum". This topic has received a reply by lotsaram since your last visit. No more notifications will be sent until you visit the topic.
Previously I would receive something like:
mce said:
I observed the same problem there in Cube viewer. Copy and Paste takes ages...
Version: Planning Analytics Local 2.0...then the links
Edit:sorry hit submit rather than preview
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Thanks for the thanks - it's usually quite fun messing about in Ubuntu, it's a nice change of scenery from data. Annoying when a snag like this comes up though.
gtonkin wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:02 pm I am receiving emails but it looks like there is a setting to be tweaked as I receive:
Yep, this is the default email approach. Unfortunately it's not simply a setting. I have to find and edit the appropriate source php files. Been a while since I've done it - IIRC the hard part was finding the right php file. The editing isn't overly difficult. I've still got the source code from the old server so hopefully can do a bit of copy and paste.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Just an update to say that I haven't forgotten about fixing the email notifications to do what they used to do. I've just been very short of time in the evenings of late. No end in sight to that at this stage, but it's on my radar to finish this job.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
gtonkin
MVP

Post by gtonkin »

HI Martin- saw this link Re: having email notification contain post body? Not sure if you have all the details on what to change but thought I would post in case you don't have them to hand.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I've got the body of the email working now, but it currently will still only send you an email once and then won't send you another until you've visited the forum. Fixing that is next on the to-do list.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer