Subset present but with no code in its dimension process

srp313
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2
Excel Version: 2016

Subset present but with no code in its dimension process

Post by srp313 »

Hello members,

I am a person who is new to TM1, so , it is my humble request to you to kindly bear with me and put up with my silly questions.

So, i am having trouble finding a code by which a Subset of a dimension has been created. This Dimension, say , for ex: Accounts , has many predefined subsets like ActiveAccounts, InactiveAccounts etc. All of these subsets have been created using the code written in the EPILOG section of the pD_Accounts process which creates this dimension and subsequently creates its subsets.

But among these subsets , there are 3 susbsets which are present and also are created anytime i run the TI pD process but there is no code written for them in the process.

There is a requirement to change the code for all these subsets but I am wacking my head here as to what is happening here since i am not able to find the code for these 3 subsets.

Please, its my humble request to you to give me any pointers/suggestions.

I would be grateful for any help from you good people.

Thanks,
SRP
Best Regards,
srp
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Re: Subset present but with no code in its dimension process

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello there,

You need to look for the functions SubsetCreate and SubsetCreateByMDX, possibly with a text editor like Notepad++. Are there other processes that are executed that contain such code ? You're sure that you can create the subsets with a certain TI because before the process runs they do not exist and afterwards they do exist? Is there a call to TM1runTI? It's not a chore that runs every so often ?
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

Just to add an extra thought to rule out the simplest answers; are you definitely deleting the subsets prior to running the TI and then it creates them?
If not it could just be that they were created manually at some point in time.

Sorry if this seems a stupid question to ask but we all miss the obvious stuff on occasion and spend too long looking for a difficult answer.
Declan Rodger
srp313

Post by srp313 »

Thanks much Mr.Wim and Mr.Declan for replying :)

@Wim: These processes are actually using "Bedrock.Dim.Sub.Create.ByMDX" to create the subsets.
Actually i have found 1 more process 'pD_Accounts_S' which is creating 2 subsets in addition to pD_Accounts. But i did not find any code for the 3 problematic subsets. There is no call to TM1runTI. Also , these 2 dimension processes do not form a chore but are linked to automated autosys jobs and are processed regularly.
As you said, it might be that these susbsets are not being created the TI itself and are also present before the TI process runs.

@Declan: Actually i am not deleting the subsets prior to running the TI and it seems that they are present since long. I think you have hit the nail on the head. I am also of the view that they have been created manually at one point of time and have remained as it is.

Again thanks so much for replying!

I have a general question, basically i am starting to learn TM1 and choose it as a career path. I request your honest opinion. Am i choosing the correct career path ? Is there a bright future in this field ? Some important issues for which i am currently much tensed about are:

1.There does not seem to be any proper resources for COGNOS TM1 on internet for a new person to learn it an grow. There are no beginner materials, no structural resources to learn it step by step. Hope you guys are understanding what i am trying to convey.
Thus i am severely apprehensive about it. Any pointers/sites which you good people can point me to would be invaluable to me at this point of time.

2.Which other tech should i take up and learn so that i would gain a kind of full stack knowledge in this field. Should i learn COGNOS too ? or anything else ?

Thanks again,
srp
Best Regards,
srp
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello srp,

Regarding the subset, can you open up the relevant *.sub file in the data directory ? Go to the folder of the subsets of the dimension, and use Notepad for example to open the *.sub file. With parameter 11, do you see a timestamp ?

Regarding the other question, it's better to start a new topic. 1 topic treats 1 question. Thanks
Last edited by Wim Gielis on Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
srp313

Post by srp313 »

Hello Wim,

Thanks again for replying!
I understand, I will make sure to post my 2nd question as a separate post. I feel it would be invaluable to me at this point of time if it gets answered.

I found the .sub files following your instructions corresponding to the 3 subsets. I have mentioned them below:

SUBSETS 11 Parameter Last Modified Date
1.AccountsCategory 00000000000000 06/30/2017
2.AccountsDriver 20131209095117 12/9/2013
3.AccountsHeadCount 20131115073016 11/15/2013

What is exactly 11 parameter? I tried to google it for more information but could not find any. Does it signify the creation date of these subsets ?
For the 1st subset, 11 parameter looks strange.

Thanks much!
srp
Best Regards,
srp
gtonkin
MVP
Version: Latest and greatest
Excel Version: Office 365 64-bit

Post by gtonkin »

Hi srp,
If you open the files with the extension of .sub with notepad per Wim's post, you should see how the subset is defined and the associated control codes.
One of the lines will start with 11, and indicates the last time the MDX was updated and the subset saved. What Wim was looking for is the detail on the row starting with 11, as (i think) this will quickly tell him/you that the subset is MDX or not.
Go into Windows explorer, navigate to your data folder, locate the sub-folder for the relevant dimensions then open with Notepad to do this.
An alternative would be to look at the icons on each of the subsets but IBM icons change depending on client and can often lead to more questions. Ideally if you have a subset with a funnel icon to the top right, this is dynamic i.e. MDX based. HTH