jameswebber
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos Express 10
Version: CE 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

XVelocity - Should IBM Worry?

Post by jameswebber »

Gusy,
Do you know about Xvelocity http://blogs.technet.com/b/dataplatform ... mance.aspx

It'm Microsoft in memory olap solution. No write back at the moment but it is version 1.
Should IBM be worried?
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: XVelocity - Should IBM Worry?

Post by jim wood »

I don't see it doing any more damage than analysis services as it stands. I remember when that first came out. Everybody thought it was going to be the death of TM1. until this has write back then it will just pick up where analysis services left off.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
jameswebber
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Cognos Express 10
Version: CE 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jameswebber »

Fair call Jim,
In our user group yesterday lots of people were unhappy with licensing and lack of MS office support.
I think the fact you get the product as part of your MS enterprise agreement and if there was a write back feature (which I have been told as MS tech ed they are working on) it could be a strong player.
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

If it does get write back then I agree, it will become pretty big. Keep in mind that Analysis services was pretty big, it just never made it outside the BI arena. Oracle have paired Essbase with OBIEE, IBM have paired TM1 with Cognos BI, I see this as Microsoft answering this step. I can't them pushing themselves in to planning arena, but if it proves to be very good you never know.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube