Post bug reports and the status of reported bugs
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

No records in transaction log query due to DefaultDisplayVal

Post by lotsaram »

SR 42507 wrote:Title: Transaction log query does not work if }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue alias is set

Problem description : If the }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue alias value is set on the }Clients dimension then the transaction log query search FAILS TO RETURN records if a client name is selected as the selected client is not resolved to the principal name and the query searches for an exact match on client name whereas the transaction log is written with the principal name.
.... I would have thought surely I am not the first person to observe this?
asutcliffe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.4.1 - 10.1
Excel Version: 2003 and 2007

Re: No records in transaction log query due to DefaultDispla

Post by asutcliffe »

lotsaram wrote:
SR 42507 wrote:Title: Transaction log query does not work if }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue alias is set

Problem description : If the }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue alias value is set on the }Clients dimension then the transaction log query search FAILS TO RETURN records if a client name is selected as the selected client is not resolved to the principal name and the query searches for an exact match on client name whereas the transaction log is written with the principal name.
Has the value of }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue been added or changed since the log you're querying was written?

I couldn't re-create the problem on 9.5.2 and I noted that my transaction logs are written using the }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue value. If I change the alias, I can only select the new value when filtering by client in the Transaction Log Query screen. The logs, on the other hand, still contain the old value of the alias so a search fails. Not ideal but it might explain what you're seeing.
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

asutcliffe wrote:Has the value of }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue been added or changed since the log you're querying was written?

I couldn't re-create the problem on 9.5.2 and I noted that my transaction logs are written using the }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue value. If I change the alias, I can only select the new value when filtering by client in the Transaction Log Query screen. The logs, on the other hand, still contain the old value of the alias so a search fails. Not ideal but it might explain what you're seeing.
That's interesting as what you 're describing sounds odd as it isn't at all what we observe. Our transaction logs (tested on multiple servers) are always written with the client stamp as the principal name in the }Clients dimension. Regardless of when or whether }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue is changed makes no difference to how the transactions are logged. We are using security mode 2, was the server you tested on by chance using CAM?
asutcliffe
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.4.1 - 10.1
Excel Version: 2003 and 2007

Post by asutcliffe »

lotsaram wrote: We are using security mode 2, was the server you tested on by chance using CAM?
Yeah, should have mentioned that we're using security mode 5.
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

Update: this has been confirmed as reproducible by support. APAR: CQGCQ00684205
camembert
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by camembert »

Thanks for sharing that. I just came across this bug today.
So even if I change the }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue to match the }Clients value it still doesn't show anything in the transaction log.
Annoying when you need to backout a single user transaction hidden amongst many others...
lotsaram
MVP

Post by lotsaram »

camembert wrote:Thanks for sharing that. I just came across this bug today.
So even if I change the }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue to match the }Clients value it still doesn't show anything in the transaction log.
Annoying when you need to backout a single user transaction hidden amongst many others...
No, if you delete the entry for the specific client for }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue alias (or even directly type the principal name of client into the list box) then the query will work. The transaction log is in GMT so you need to make sure the time parameters are correct.
camembert
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by camembert »

lotsaram wrote:No, if you delete the entry for the specific client for }TM1_DefaultDisplayValue alias (or even directly type the principal name of client into the list box) then the query will work. The transaction log is in GMT so you need to make sure the time parameters are correct.
Ok I typed the principal client name (case-sensitive of course!) and that worked.
Thanks.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

lotsaram wrote:

I never really had because none of my legacy servers from the 8.2.12/9.0 days had the alias. Nor had the alias been added to them when I upgraded them to 9.5.2. (Indeed, there is nothing in the documentation indicating when and why and how the alias is created, or why it is there although "for use with Cognos BI" seems a fair bet. "Nothing in the documentation" seems to be a recurring mantra of late. :evil: )

Nor did I use the alias with any of my own new servers. The only one that used it was a hand-me-down from a contracting company and I didn't notice because I dumped the log files into an SQL server database because the transaction loads on that server made using the GUI impossible anyway.

But the key thing is... two and a half frapping years later, this still hasn't been fixed in 10.2. Anyone want to bet that the support request was quietly buried not less than 18 months ago?
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Alan Kirk wrote:But the key thing is... two and a half frapping years later, this still hasn't been fixed in 10.2. Anyone want to bet that the support request was quietly buried not less than 18 months ago?
For the sake of completeness, I offer the following document that I stumbled upon while looking for something else: PM66737: TM1DEFAULTDISPLAYVALUE ALIAS NOT SHOWN IN TRANSACTION LOG.
APAR status

Closed as Permanent restriction.

Error description

Setting a user alias as TM1DefaultDisplayName to show instead of the principal name when querying the transaction log returns no records. The principal name has to be entered manually if using alias.The workaround to delete the alias is not satisfactory to the client.

Local fix

Problem summary

* USERS AFFECTED: *
* All Users *
* PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: *
* See error description. *
* RECOMMENDATION: *
* Customer Statement: Enhancements are not being made to *
* architect at this time. *
No guano? Welcome to the worst kept secret in the history of software development, or lack thereof.
* Paul fyi ... Operations console will be able to query the *
* logs in an upcoming release and hopefully this is not an *
* issue there. *
Hopefully, maybe. Can't wait to use something like Operations Console, which has all the lightness of touch and flexibility of a fully laden freight train with wonky brakes. Personally I'd rather live without the aliases.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.