How to disable annoying question after exiting TM1 Architect

abcuser
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 0

How to disable annoying question after exiting TM1 Architect

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
using TM1 Architect v9.5.0 when ever I close down the GUI tool I get a question "Do you want to shut down local server?".
Is there any way to disable this very annoying question?
Thanks
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: How to disable annoying question after exiting TM1 Archi

Post by Martin Ryan »

You can prevent it starting up in the first place by going to File -> Options and unchecking "Start up local server on connection" or something to that effect. But if you leave that checked then you'll always get the shut down message.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

In File | Options there is "Connect to Local Server on Startup" which in my case is unchecked, but I still get this message when exiting TM1 Architect.
Attachments
tm1_options.png
tm1_options.png (28.95 KiB) Viewed 7061 times
applix_mc

Post by applix_mc »

Check to see if you have multiple tm1p.ini files on your system. Tm1 may be picking up parameters from another tm1p.ini
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

I have checked the for tm1p.ini file and there are two locations:
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Applix\TM1
C:\Documents and Settings\[my_userid]\Application Data\Applix\TM1

I have renamed file in first path and restarted TM1 server. Problem still persists.
applix_mc

Post by applix_mc »

Make sure all your Tm1 clients are closed (tm1 architect or Perspectives)
Then remove all your tm1p.ini files (delete them)
Launch your Tm1 client again (tm1p.ini will get recreated)

see what happens then
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

I deleted all of the tm1p.ini files. When I start TM1 Architect I get error message: "Data directory not specified. Aborting server start up." When I click on message OK button TM1 Architect starts-up. After logging in I have closed TM1 Architect and the same message "Do you want to shut down local server?" appears.

I have checked File | Properties and I have uncheck all of the check-boxes, repeat the process and the problem persists. Any idea? Maybe this is some kind of bug in v9.5.0?
applix_mc

Post by applix_mc »

Jeez I have to admit this is pretty bizzare. It could be bug with Tm1 version 9.5.0. Is anyone else in your company running into the same problem? I am wondering if it is machine specific more than Tm1..just a thought
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

Hi,
few days ago I have upgraded TM1 v9.5.0 to v9.5.2 and the problem still persists. Any idea how to remove this annoying question. By the way "local" is my name of the server in tm1 cfg file.
Thanks
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

abcuser wrote:few days ago I have upgraded TM1 v9.5.0 to v9.5.2 and the problem still persists. Any idea how to remove this annoying question. By the way "local" is my name of the server in tm1 cfg file.
Hang on, is that a remote server (in this case I use the term "Remote Server" in the sense described in the Operations Guide; yes, it can be running on your machine, just as a service which is separate from Client or Architect) which you have named "Local"?

If so, don't do that. Give it any name you want, but not "Local". "Local" is supposed to be reserved for servers which really are "Local". (Again, in the Operations Guide sense of the term.)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
abcuser

Post by abcuser »

Alan Kirk wrote:yes, it can be running on your machine, just as a service which is separate from Client or Architect) which you have named "Local"?
Yes, that's it. I have named this server local few year ago when I was total newbie and I had TM1 server and Architect on the same computer. In following years I have integrated TM1 server with Cognos BI and now I really don't want to rename 'local' server name, because I don't want to get into the Cognos BI can't find 'local' server name problem.

Alan, thanks a lot for explaining. I will take this into consideration on my next Cognos migration.