harrytm1
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: Latest version
Excel Version: 2003 to 2019

TI in 64-bit TM1 server cannot point to 32-bit ODBC Admin

Post by harrytm1 »

Hi all,

I have searched through the forum on this topic. Currently, I'm using Windows 7 and the TM1 server is 64-bit.

I'm trying to develop a TI to connect to an Access DB. When I clicked the "Browse" button in the TI next to Data Source Name field, the list did not include the Access data source that I had created in the 32-bit ODBC Administrator panel.

If I try to set up the same Access data source using the 64-bit ODBC Admin panel, I'm only presented with two drivers: SQL Server and SQL Server Native Client 10.0.

Is there a way to get TI to point to the 32-bit ODBC Admin since I can't define the data source in the 64-bit ODBC Admin?

Thanks!

harry
Planning Analytics latest version, including Cloud
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: TI in 64-bit TM1 server cannot point to 32-bit ODBC Admi

Post by Alan Kirk »

harrytm1 wrote:Hi all,

I have searched through the forum on this topic.
Does this include the thread under the heading "64 Bit ODBC Driver Issues" in the FAQ? It would seem to be quite relevant.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
harrytm1
Regular Participant
OLAP Product: IBM Planning Analytics
Version: Latest version
Excel Version: 2003 to 2019

Post by harrytm1 »

Yes I did before posting. I posted this because that post did not offer a solution.
Planning Analytics latest version, including Cloud
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by lotsaram »

harrytm1 wrote:Yes I did before posting. I posted this because that post did not offer a solution.
Harry, that's because there isn't one. MS Access is a 32 bit application and has (as far as I'm aware) no 64 bit driver. There is no direct route to get data directly from Access into a 64 bit TM1 server, but there are any number of common workarounds, some of which are ...
- migrate the access application to a RDBMS that supports 64 bit ODBC drivers (such as SQL Server)
- if your TM1 application is small use 32 bit TM1 server
- use a 2nd 32 bit TM1 server as a data staging area
- rather than ODBC use flat files
- automated flat files: use a database tool that supports command line (such as querytool) to pass in an SQL query and generate a CSV file (triggered by ExecuteCommand in TI), then pick up the file

The first and last options are generally my preferred approach.