jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

AS Guide

Post by jim wood »

Guys,

Could anybody recomend a good guide to either download / buy?

Cheers,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Mike Cowie
Site Admin
OLAP Product: IBM TM1/PA, SSAS, and more
Version: Anything thru 11.x
Excel Version: 2003 - Office 365

Re: AS Guide

Post by Mike Cowie »

Hi Jim,

Are you looking for Analysis Services for SQL 2000, 2005 or 2008? I have Professional SQL Server Analysis Services 2005 with MDX by Harinath & Quinn from Wrox, which isn't too bad. I would imagine that Analysis Services in SQL 2008 books are probably not that well-revised if they're already in print - but, there haven't been really significant changes to Analysis Services in 2008 vs. 2005 as best I can tell so maybe that doesn't matter. You may be able to get some SQL 2000 Analysis Services books more cheaply, but if you're using SQL 2005 I wouldn't do that since SQL 2000 vs. 2005 Analysis Services is quite different.

I think there are some books mainly about MDX that you can get as well, and I'm sure there are some bloggers/websites out there that have reviewed far more books on the subject that you could hunt down via google. I also tend to read the reviews on places like Amazon when considering what to get for technical books.

Regards,
Mike Cowie
QueBIT Consulting, LLC

Are you lost without Print Reports in Planning Analytics for Excel (PAfE)? Get it back today, for free, with Print Reports for IBM Planning Analytics for Excel!
Marcus Scherer
Community Contributor
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Marcus Scherer »

Hi,
some sources may help you:
- "Delivering Business Intelligence with Microsoft SQL Server 2005" by Brian Larson. It covers the ETL steps as well. SSAS is not only about MDX but SQL as well.
- "MDX Solutions" by Spofford et al. Single chapters are very good and the appendices are essential. But the book is not a good starting point because of examples that don't fit together.
- MSDN library.
- Learning modules inside SQL Server (Adventure Works database)

Cheers,
M.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Thanks Guys,

I have been out and bought "Fast Track to MDX" By Whiteborn, Zare & Pasumansky. It seems ok. It covers all of the MDX angles but I may need to fill some the other areas with something else.

I have also started to have a look a MSDN. Somewhere I don't normally like to go, but in this case it seems to be ok. (I have found it pain for Excel.)

As for version I've only got 2000 at the moment. It looks like a may have to try to get hold of a version of 2005.

I shall plough on. Wish me luck....

Jim.

PS. The book I bought come with a trial version of ProClarity. Now there's a name I hadn't heard for a while.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Marcus Scherer
Community Contributor
Version: 10.2.2
Excel Version: 2016

Post by Marcus Scherer »

Jim,

I wouldn't spend too much time with AS2000. There's a difference in MDX (attribute hierarchies and natural hierarchies in SSAS2005) as well as on the ETL side (DTS for SQL 2000 is different from SS Integration Services 2005). You would have to start with 2005 nearly from scratch any way.

Cheers,

M.