Memory errors

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).

How often are you getting memory errors?

More than once a day
No votes
Daily
8%
A few times a week
17%
Weekly
No votes
1-3 times a month
25%
Less than once a month
50%

Total votes: 12

Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Memory errors

Post by Martin Ryan »

I've had two reports of memory errors from admins today. I'd like to get a handle on how big the problem is because I've used up all the easy fix options and they only seemed to have reduced the problem, not fixed it.

Next stop is upgrading the PHP version and/or changing server providers. I'm happy to do that if it's a big enough problem, but I don't want to spend hours on it if it's not that big a deal.

Please let me know what you're seeing via the poll (and add comments below if you want).
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Memory errors

Post by jim wood »

Frequency and timing of visits could have an impact on this. I tend to visit only a couple of times a day and never at the weekend so I may not see the errors or see them less. Also The main number of users seems (correct me if I'm wrong) to be on European time / Australian. There are some users in the US but the posting traffic seems less once the working day in Europe finishes. It would be interesting for people to say what time zone they are in and when (roughly) they see the error. If there is a direct relationship between traffic and number of errors it could help us,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
lotsaram
MVP
OLAP Product: TableManager1
Version: PA 2.0.x

Post by lotsaram »

You mean like this?
TM1 Forum wrote:Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 9961472) (tried to allocate 122880 bytes) in /usr/local/tm1forum/public_html/ip_files/212.php on line 89
More often than not it manifests as a web time out. Seems to be happening more and more often in the last month or 2, from hardly ever to almost daily.
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

Lotsaram,

Did you vote above? I can't see any votes for daily? Also does this seem to happen more often at any point of time during the day?

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Post by declanr »

I've been coming on less often recently but do still manage to see it a few times a week, I suppose if I was coming on as often as I used to it could have edged into daily.
Declan Rodger
jstrygner
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 FP3

Post by jstrygner »

I am definitely having longer breaks in visiting forum, but recently I manage to visit it 2 and more times weekly.

I have not so far experienced those errors.

Just voted Less than once a month option.

I connect from Europe.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

The forum and PHP version have been upgraded. After a week or two can people please let me know if they've noticed these crashes getting any better, worse or no different?
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Duncan P
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 10.1 10.2
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by Duncan P »

Wow! Just got my first one.

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 1835008) (tried to allocate 49152 bytes) in /usr/local/tm1forum/public_html/includes/functions.php on line 4577
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Earlier this evening (around 18:30 to 19:00 local) I couldn't load any pages of the Forum at all. I just left it after that.

A few minutes ago I noticed that when it finally did load (the Forum being one of the sites in my set of "Home" tabs in Firefox) it had done so with:
Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 262144) (tried to allocate 49152 bytes) in /usr/local/tm1forum/public_html/index.php on line 104
However it's been fine since I got back from the hardware (no, the other kind for once) store some 20 minutes ago (around 20:45 local).
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Post by qml »

I tried to access the forum at around 9:30 GMT today and got this:
Fatal error: Out of memory (allocated 1310720) (tried to allocate 12288 bytes) in /usr/local/tm1forum/public_html/includes/auth.php on line 930
Then for about half an hour the forum page wouldn't load at all and now it seems ok.

Edit: I can access all the subforums except for 'Cognos TM1', so it's not quite ok.
Kamil Arendt
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Post by Paul Segal »

Yup, same here.
Paul
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

That is really annoying. During the upgrade it asked me if I wanted to retain the old php.ini file or use the new one. I said stick with the old one (as I'd made a couple of edits to allow bigger uploads). I think that was the wrong call. I'll update it and let you know when I've done that so we can see if that fixes it.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I've reset php.ini back to the default and restarted apache. Fingers crossed...
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Anyone notice an improvement with the new .ini file or is it still patchy?
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin

Post by jim wood »

I didn't get the error often, but I've not seen it all since you made the change, but as I say I didn't see it often anyway.
Shop at Amazon