It's that time of year...

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

It's that time of year...

Post by Martin Ryan »

Sadly not Christmas. Nope, it's bill time. Olapforums is over eleven months old and GoDaddy is asking for some money.

If you'd like to make a donation towards the upkeep of the forum it would be greatly appreciated. Please use the donate button at the top right of the page.

Expenses for this year are (all in US Dollars):
olapedia.com domain $11
olapforums.com domain $11
tm1forum.com domain $11
hosting $80
Total: $113

TIA,
Martin
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: It's that time of year...

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:Sadly not Christmas. Nope, it's bill time. Olapforums is over eleven months old and GoDaddy is asking for some money.

If you'd like to make a donation towards the upkeep of the forum it would be greatly appreciated. Please use the donate button at the top right of the page.
I thought you meant chore reschedulung time, which I had the "pleasure" of yesterday after we went off daylight savings.

I had the reminder set to 22 May in the accursed-but-necessary Quicken, since that was the anniversary of last year's payment (which was of course well after the Forum was set up).

I for one will kick the can in the next day or two, after my computer swallows the gig or two of updates that it'll undoubtedly need for its new AV / Firewall software. (Until then I suspect that my home internetting will be, shall we say, limited.)

Of course, considering what the $AUD fetches these days compared to last year, I can't guarantee that it'll be of QUITE as much value...
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Post by Steve Rowe »

Bumping is Free!
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:Sadly not Christmas. Nope, it's bill time. Olapforums is over eleven months old and GoDaddy is asking for some money.

Steve Rowe wrote:Bumping is Free!
Making a sticky is even freeer! :D
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote: If you'd like to make a donation towards the upkeep of the forum it would be greatly appreciated. Please use the donate button at the top right of the page.
I've remitted some Denari this evening; please PM if it doesn't arrive in the next couple of days, though I'll be down in Melbourne for most of the long weekend and may not be able to attend to it until I return. (Not that PayPal usually has any problems.)
-----------
sarahmilius
OLAP Product: TM1 EP
Version: 9.4x 9.5x
Excel Version: 2007 2010

Post by sarahmilius »

Martin
can you post a follow-up (after a reasonable lag) whether donations have met the goal? I donated, but it's hard to guesstimate the "cheap"-"low"- "generous" spectrum. Many thanks for a great resource.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

So far $86. Of that $86, donations from three non-administrators total $16. The rest is from fellow administrators.

While they're called donations for a reason, it does seem a shame that it's the people doling out the lion's share of the advice who are also doling out the cash. Perhaps those that choose not to donate are instead intending on paying it forward in the future when they are the experts and will start helping out the next generation of users. That would be just as welcome.

As to amounts, if everyone who felt this forum had made a positive impact on their TM1 life gave a $5 or perhaps $10 donation I think we'd comfortably cover costs. I did receive a $1 donation, I'm still trying to work out if that was the equivalent of a 5% tip in the States.

Excess cash will be saved for next year or possibly used on ad words to make us known to the community who Google "tm1" but don't get as far as "tm1 forum". If we're substantially over (which doesn't look likely) forum users will be asked their opinion on how the money should be spent (or saved).

Regards,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Must be going blind. I missed a $20 donation from one other non-admin user. Making the total $106.

This year I'd appeal to people to make a small ($5-$10) donation during the year as and when they feel they've got something out of the forum.

If people don't feel they're getting $5 worth out of the forum in a year I'd be interested in hearing what else we can do to make the site worthwhile.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
George Regateiro
MVP
Version: 10.1.1
Excel Version: 2007 SP3

Post by George Regateiro »

Just chipped in.

Thanks for all the work.
osteveo
Version: 9.0 SP3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by osteveo »

Thanks for all you do
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Thanks to all those that have donated. We covered costs with a bit to spare. It's very much appreciated.

You'll notice that there is now a small advertisement at the top right hand of the screen. This is to prevent donations being required in the future. I think this is the best way forward. Advertisements are sold by world region and are for low prices because I only wish to cover costs, rather than generate an income.

Thanks again to those who donated, I hope you won't feel miffed by the new direction, but the donation method didn't seem to be working out equitably.

Cheers,
Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer