Mapping Tool

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Steve Rowe
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: TM1 v6,v7,v8,v9,v10,v11+PAW
Excel Version: Nearly all of them

Mapping Tool

Post by Steve Rowe »

Part of the project I am working on involves mapping a dataset in code structure A to a dataset in code structure B.

The quality of the final data is obviously dependent on the quality of the mapping between the two datasets.

Once the mapping has been built up it is pretty straightforward to apply it to the data. The big problem is the time it takes to construct the mappings in the first place.

Typically there are different numbers of dimensions in the two structures and we usually have 3 or 4 dimensions in structure A mapping into 1 dimension in B.

Then once you have built the initial set of relationships you have to maintain it as well.

Does anyone know of a tool that can be used to construct this type of mapping relationships?

Cheers,
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: Mapping Tool

Post by jim wood »

I've used good old SQL 2000 DTS to do this and I'm sure you could use it's modern replacement.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Isn't this a tool for managing the application of a mapping, i.e. a fancy ETL? I already have tools to hold and apply the mappings.

What I'm looking for is a tool I can put in front of users to help them build the mapping relationship we want to apply to the data.

Or is there more to DTS than meets the eye?

Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

You can get a a DTS to look like a mapping architecture once you've built it but it's not very front end user. I didn't realise that was what you were after. (Apologies if I mis-read your post)

So based on what you've said your not looking for something like visio which is then mapped using something else? I'm guessing your looking something like a drag and drop environment where you can complete a diagram of the mapping and the mapping itself???
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Steve Rowe
Site Admin

Post by Steve Rowe »

Yeah drag and drop type of thing would be nice, something to take the grunt work out of the process.

The approach we are thinking of using is a two step process where you build 1 dimensional mapping tables and then combine them programmatically to form the multi-dimensional mapping table.

Roughly like in the picture below but with more dimensions involved.
map.GIF
map.GIF (23.75 KiB) Viewed 7035 times
Building up mapping tables describing the realtionship between two datasets doesn't seem that unusual a problem so I was wondering if anyone has seen a tool to do it with...

Cheers
Technical Director
www.infocat.co.uk