Olapedia

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Olapedia

Post by Martin Ryan »

Olapedia is getting rather vigorously spammed. Mike L is doing a good job of backing it all out, but there's only so much one man can do without getting a headache from banging his head against a wall.

Clearly it needs sorting out. Option 1 is just hitting the delete button. Option two is redeploying it at a slightly different address which will hopefully confuse the spammer. This may end up just being a temporary solution though.

Mike and I are leaning towards option 1 as the site doesn't seem to be getting that much interest. Just wanted to confirm that though - is anyone finding Olapedia useful?

New users to TM1/OLAP I'm especially talking to you and asking for your feedback, as this site was aimed at helping out such users. If you find that the forum is better and that Olapedia isn't adding anything I'll remove it. If it is a useful resource then I'll endeavour to address the spam issue.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
Version: 10.2.2 FP1

Re: Olapedia

Post by Steve Vincent »

Is the software up to date? Might just be a patch or something thats needed to stop it all...
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I'd still be interested in feedback because it'll keep coming up as an issue.

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

You can change the wiki submission permissions. There are scripts out there that mean only email authenticated users can submit. I'll see if I can dig the details up.....

Jim.

Are we using media wiki? If so I should be able to find a solution really quickly.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

jim wood wrote: Are we using media wiki?
Yep.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Andy Key
MVP
Version: 2.5 to PA
Excel Version: Lots

Post by Andy Key »

If you can't get it to go down the authorised posters route can the content be migrated into a new forum? I realise that it will be a lot of topics and no replies, but it would be a shame to lose all the content.
Andy Key
TJMurphy
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by TJMurphy »

I like the idea of having the resource but I don't go in there frequently.

I'm not sure what I expect to find in there - a simplified user manual or hints and tips or best practice? In my mind I'd go straight to this forum for answers and wouldn't think of using the wiki first. Personally I also find them "interesting" places to browse but a bit too much of a spiders web to find specific items in - can lose hours in wikipedia quite easily :)

If you want to drive traffic to it maybe a sticky post in the main forum showing most recent updated topics would help?

Have no idea how to stop the spam though - sorry!

Tony
bihints.com
Version: 9.0.3
Excel Version: 2003

Post by bihints.com »

CAPTCHA or set the write permissions manually on newly registered users as they request it.
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

I found the security settings needed last night. (Only allows users who have been confirmed to write) They are at home. I'll post them over the weekend,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube