Cognos Group

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Cognos Group

Post by jim wood »

Guys,

Should the Cognos group be split in to it's product set and should TM1 be within it?

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: Cognos Group

Post by Martin Ryan »

Yes, good idea. I personally prefer not too many splits though as issues can cross areas. What products are there in Cognos? I don't actually know... Anybody got a product list?
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:Yes, good idea. I personally prefer not too many splits though as issues can cross areas. What products are there in Cognos? I don't actually know... Anybody got a product list?
Umm... I think you'll find one in the OLAPedia. :D

http://wiki.olapforums.com/index.php?title=Cognos

(I thought you were the one who wrote that...)
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

:oops:

Busted. I copied and pasted from Wikipedia. I did tidy it up though.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

And after reading what I "wrote" I'm not that much wiser.

So Cognos 8 BI is a stand alone tool? Then Analyst and Contributor are two tools that go together to create Planning? Does that suggest three forums (BI, Analyst, Contributor) or two (BI, Planning), or what?

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:And after reading what I "wrote" I'm not that much wiser.

So Cognos 8 BI is a stand alone tool? Then Analyst and Contributor are two tools that go together to create Planning? Does that suggest three forums (BI, Analyst, Contributor) or two (BI, Planning), or what?

Martin
This page ties with what I understood the situation was:

http://www.cognos.com/products/planning ... ing_button
IBM Cognos 8 Planning ... (is) ... Part of an integrated but separable performance management system delivering planning, reporting, scorecarding, dashboards, analysis and financial consolidation.
Then you also have Reporting:
http://www.cognos.com/products/cognos8b ... ort_button

In other words, I believe it's modular rather like base TM1, Web, EV, only with many more permutations. Pick some or pick all. Though I admit that this isn't from first hand experience at this point.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Anyone with firsthand Cognos knowledge want to add their suggestion? I'm leaning towards just having Planning and Reporting. A purist would suggest that there should be multiple splits, but I'm conscious we don't want to have umpteen squared forums for umpteen tools.

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
rollo19

Post by rollo19 »

I suggest split it into Cognos BI and Cognos Planning:

Cognos BI - which includes the Cognos portal, common to all Cognos tools such as Planning, Consolidation, Report Authoring, ad-hoc OLAP and relational query tools, Event driven automation of reporting jobs etc. As this is an OLAP forum, some people may be interested in a category for Cognos Transformer & Power cubes.

Cognos Planning which is an OLAP modelling tool comprised of two components - Analyst which is a client tool to build/manage models and do centralised planning - similar to TM1 server. Contributor is a bit like executive viewer for the web, with workflow and audit-ability - so you take models built in Analyst and roll them out in Contributor to any number of people for collaborative planning.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I've done as suggested in this thread - left the Original Cognos forum and created inside that forum the Planning, BI and TM1 forums.

If you want to go direct to the TM1 forum you can still use the link: http://forums.olapforums.com/viewforum.php?f=3

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
John Hobson
Site Admin
OLAP Product: Any
Version: 1.0
Excel Version: 2020

Post by John Hobson »

Sorry - getting into this late as I'm on holiday but you can see how the Cognos veterans split it at http://www.cognoise.com/community/

J
John Hobson
The Planning Factory