Wiki tools

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Wiki tools

Post by Martin Ryan »

I'd like to add a wiki to this site. I ultimately see it as an online documentation tool. Does anyone have any experience with good (free) wiki software? I'd prefer it to run PHP and be on MySQL or text file based.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Paul Segal
Community Contributor
Version: TM1 11 and up
Excel Version: Too many to count

Re: Wiki tools

Post by Paul Segal »

I'd have thought Mediawiki or Tikkiwiki would be the front runners - both are PHP and use MySql as the backend, with the option of Postgres.

Regards

Paul
Paul
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

The wiki is up and running http://wiki.olapforums.com. I've taken Jim up on his excellent idea and called it Olapedia.

Happy wikking (or whatever the verb is).

Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Somebody (Jim I think) was asking about editing the menus. I don't think you can. I can't see any obvious way for me to do when I'm logged in as an Administrator, and I also can't see anyway of making other users administrators.

If I stumble across anything I'll let you know, but as far as I can see every body has got pretty much the same access to do everything.

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

*Crash bang smack*. Moments later I do stumble across something.

User rights was hiding down the bottom of the special pages. I've made everyone who's currently a registered user a "Bureaucrat" and a "Sysop". No idea what either of those do though...

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

Martin Ryan wrote:*Crash bang smack*. Moments later I do stumble across something.

User rights was hiding down the bottom of the special pages. I've made everyone who's currently a registered user a "Bureaucrat"
Don't look at me, there ain't no way in the hot place that I'm going back to work for the Public Circus, er, I mean Service again..
Martin Ryan wrote: and a "Sysop". No idea what either of those do though...
I've noticed that I now have "Move" (allowing a title to be renamed) and "Protect" tabs, which I'm sure weren't there before.

(I know this because someone (who wasn't logged in, and just appears as an IP address) posted a suggestion that a couple of titles be renamed. I'm not sure that I agree, but it was immaterial at that point anyway because I couldn't find any way of doing it. It's the Move tab which unlocks that feature.)

I don't think that the [Delete] tab was there before either.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

If you're looking for a way to pass away the hours then have a look at what you can contribute here: http://wiki.olapforums.com/index.php?ti ... antedpages

Cheers,
Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Martin,

I don't know how to do it within the wiki but I feel it would benefit from having a product / company memu down the side. It may also benefit from some base definition part menu, for example cube,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

Not quite sure I follow you Jim, but I've altered the main page to have "Key Concepts", "Products" and "Companies". Is this the kind of thing you mean?

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
jim wood
Site Admin
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Post by jim wood »

Hi Martin,

Looks good to me. It's exactly what I was on about. What I meant by meu was adding it to the navigation menu on the left of every page. (I have worked with JSP wiki before and the menu can be customised to include things like cascading menus etc..)

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

jim wood wrote:What I meant by meu was adding it to the navigation menu on the left of every page
Done. For those interested the main page to edit was index.php?NOSPAMtitle=MediaWiki:Sidebar

After editing that I had to update the variables the Sidebar referred to, e.g.
index.php?NOSPAMtitle=MediaWiki:Products-url
index.php?NOSPAMtitle=MediaWiki:Products

Martin

EDIT 5 August 08: Altered links because spammers were using them.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Mike L

Post by Mike L »

Since Olapedia launched at http://wiki.olapforums.com 90 days ago, 13 registered users have created and contributed to 90 articles thus far.

Longest article: 19,496 bytes
  • Shortest: 54 bytes
    Mean: 2,599 bytes
    Median: 1,179 bytes
New articles created by month
  • May: 36
    June: none
    July: 54
    August: none yet, but half the month still remains....
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Mike L wrote:Since Olapedia launched at http://wiki.olapforums.com 90 days ago, 13 registered users have created and contributed to 90 articles thus far.
{Snip}
August: none yet, but half the month still remains....
Yeah, I for one have been rather slack of late; I have some articles partly written, but just haven't had time to finish them. That and the fact that a picture is sometimes worth a thousand words, but sometimes it'd be just easier to put up a picture...
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Mike L

Post by Mike L »

One of my New Year's resolutions for 2009 is to reduce my internet watchlist by 75%.
Olapedia did not make the cut, for obvious reasons: (1) it is no longer active, having no new articles since July, and (2) since none of the administrators are policing it, spammers are turning it into a link farm. It was a good idea, but there doesn't seem to be lasting community interest. It might be best to just close it down.

As they say, out with the old and in with the new. Happy New Year everyone.
Alan Kirk
Site Admin

Post by Alan Kirk »

Mike L wrote:One of my New Year's resolutions for 2009 is to reduce my internet watchlist by 75%.
Olapedia did not make the cut, for obvious reasons: (1) it is no longer active, having no new articles since July, and (2) since none of the administrators are policing it, spammers are turning it into a link farm. It was a good idea, but there doesn't seem to be lasting community interest. It might be best to just close it down.

As they say, out with the old and in with the new. Happy New Year everyone.
I'm not sure we should give up on it just yet; I have to admit that I have a bit of guilt here because ever since I created a bookmark which leads straight to the Forums, I've been bypassing the other parts of the site which I should have been casting more of an administrative eye over as well. {Slaps hand} BAD me. Perhaps 2009 will bring more opportunities to do more with the site.

It'll depend on how many of us are out of a gig before the recovery comes, I guess... :shock:
-----------
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I've been meaning to change it so that at least you had to be registered in order to make a change. I've found the parameter, just need to remember to do it at home as I don't have access at work.

Fair enough Mike, it hasn't worked out as we originally intended. I'll still make that change when I get a chance and remember, but I'm not sure that'll save it from a slow death.

Cheers for your help during the year.

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin

Post by Martin Ryan »

I've now added in a parameter that requires users to verify their email address before editing a page. As I say, I don't think that'll necessarily save Olapedia but it hopefully will at least mean the stuff that is currently there won't be turned in spam filled wasteland.

Martin
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer