How to land the first Cognos developer Job Perth

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Aman.Bakshi
OLAP Product: Cognos
Version: 8.1
Excel Version: 2013

How to land the first Cognos developer Job Perth

Post by Aman.Bakshi »

Hi All,

I just wanted to know the different ways to land your first Cognos developer job. I have been working in the Chemical Engineering industry for the last year 3 years as a chemical Engineer but recently some freinds told me about this Bussiness Intelligence field and it really interst me, so I ended up doing the cognos course and certification. But I think, the job market is such the companies arent ready to invest in freshers.

Does anyone know any companies in Australia who might be looking for freshers or junior roles. Any suggestions will be appreciated!

Thanks
jim wood
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.7
Excel Version: Office 365

Re: How to land the first Cognos developer Job Perth

Post by jim wood »

This is an interesting one. Normally the best way to start down this career path is to be a user first. Most of the people that I know that migrate in to this field do it over a time that fits them as they learn to develop more and gain valuable experience. What you might want to do is find a chemical engineering company that is using BI. That way the expereince you have and the new skills you've developed match. I would especially look an analyst type role where you'll be developing reports. This way you'll be gaining that all important experience but also it looks like a great transition on your CV,

Jim.
Struggling through the quagmire of life to reach the other side of who knows where.
Shop at Amazon
Jimbo PC Builds on YouTube