No outgoing emails

Not related to a specific OLAP tool. (Includes forum policies and rules).
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

No outgoing emails

Post by Martin Ryan »

Another of the websites that is on my VPS was recently hacked. Spam was getting sent out and it still appears to be. While I get my head around it I have stopped all outgoing mail from the server.

So if you're getting email updates whenever a new post comes up, this won't be happening.

It also means admins won't get notifed when a new user is created.

I'll try to resolve this as soon as possible.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: No outgoing emails

Post by Martin Ryan »

I'm learning some interesting stuff about iptables and postfix and transports. Bloody spammers, stuff I really didn't care to know!

I've turned the email back on and will keep an eye on it for the next while before NZ bed time.

My IP address is now not well thought of among mail recipients so a lot of the emails may well not get through. I think trust will be restored over time but I don't know how long that will take.

I have changed a few postfix settings to slow things down so that if I get hacked again then at least it won't be able to send out 1000s of emails. The downside is that may mean that even if you do receive your updates, it may take a little while.
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer