Problems deleting a cube?

TJMurphy
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Problems deleting a cube?

Post by TJMurphy »

Hi all,
Has anyone had problems deleting cubes from their TM1 Servers? I did a search to see if it was a known bug but didn't find anything.

Nothing complicated, logged on as an administrator, using Server Explorer (from Excel 2010), right click a cube and delete it. Server hangs, TM1 Top just keeps counting up the timer and it never finishes. This particular cube wasn't particularly large and had no rules or anything I'd consider "complex". Has happened to me twice now.

Looking at the data folder, it seemed to get as far as creating a new }Cubes.dim$ file but nothing newer -- but none of the dimension files are locked / readonly or anything like that.

The workaround is to delete the underlying cubes from the file system then "bounce" the server (using NET Stop / NET Start).

Just wondering if anyone else had come across this. We're on 9.5.1 which is quite old and we're hoping to move to 10.2.1 but I can see us deleting quite a few old cubes as part of the cut-over and this is a pain. (Due to IT access rules we need them to bounce the service if it hangs and that takes ages :x )

Thanks
qml
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1 / Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.9 and all previous
Excel Version: 2007 - 2016

Re: Problems deleting a cube?

Post by qml »

I've seen something similar happen once or twice in version 9.5.1 or perhaps 9.5.2. Haven't seen it yet in any of the 10.x versions.
Kamil Arendt
PlanningDev
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: Planning Analytics
Version: 2.0.5
Excel Version: 2016

Post by PlanningDev »

What I've found is that deleting the views first and them deleting the cube usually works. No idea why but I just had this happen a couple of weeks ago.

I probably should have logged it with IBM.
Wim Gielis
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

Post by Wim Gielis »

Also, for one reason or another, CubeDestroy seems to be an alternative using a simple TI process.
Apart from very simple (lookup) cubes, I always use that way to delete a cube.
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
TJMurphy
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by TJMurphy »

Thanks all, glad to know I'm not alone.

Hopefully we can get the systems upgraded to 10.2.1 before I next have to tidy up another year's data cube!