Subset Security with Planner/Contributor

Jonsulli
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5
Excel Version: 2003

Subset Security with Planner/Contributor

Post by Jonsulli »

Hi there,

I am using Cognos Express 10.1, I am trying to hide some subsets to users but unfortunately it seems not possible. I dont want them to change susbsets of the web views

Any tips ?
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Re: Subset Security with Planner/Contributor

Post by tomok »

Public subsets are not hideable. Elements from within a subset are subject to the security rights of the user but the subset itself is not. You can use private subsets but that will be a pain.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
Jonsulli

Post by Jonsulli »

Not happy with that... nevermind Thanks Tomok
jstrygner
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 FP3
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jstrygner »

Not sure exactly about your case, but:
Jonsulli wrote:I am trying to hide some subsets to users
As tomok said, there is no security on subsets, but if you mean all users you could semi-hide them by creating those as Control Objects (name starts with }).
Most of End Users will always have display of Control Objects set to False.
But if your view uses such subsets those should be visible there (hmm, would need to check to be 100% sure and am not able to do it now).
To create such subsets, easiest will be via TI (manual saving will not be allowed).
Jonsulli wrote:I dont want them to change susbsets of the web views
As long as they do not have ADMIN rights to dimension (again, usually End Users do not) they will not be able to change public subsets anyway.
Jonsulli

Post by Jonsulli »

Thanks jstrygner, "}" could be a workaround.

You said :
As long as they do not have ADMIN rights to dimension (again, usually End Users do not) they will not be able to change public subsets anyway.
Do you mean they will not be able to replace a subset by another or they will not be able to edit the subset ?
jstrygner
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 FP3
Excel Version: 2010

Post by jstrygner »

Jonsulli wrote:Do you mean they will not be able to replace a subset by another or they will not be able to edit the subset ?
I meant they will not be able to edit the subset and by edit I meant modifying and re-saving it as public subset with the same name.

I need to admit I did not play around with Cognos Express, but I would assume if End Users are working with views, they will always be able to do slicing and dicing.
This means they can always shape the view as they want after initial opening, including modifying existing subsets by e.g. expanding a node or even choosing a different subset.

But (again, assuming they do not have proper ADMIN rights to modify views and/or subsets) they will not overwrite "initial" objects.
Every new re-opening of view will again come back to "initial" state saved by Admins.

I hope I got your question right :)
Jonsulli

Post by Jonsulli »

I hope I got your question right :)
Yes perfect ! Thanks jstrygner !