BigG
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBMPA
Version: PA 2.0 Cloud
Excel Version: 2010

Worksheet Directory for multiple TM1 Servers

Post by BigG »

Hi all,

I am aiming to create a dimension worksheet directory for a TM1 server, but if I have multiple TM1 servers will I have to use a shared single location because..
TM1® saves the dimension worksheet files to the first directory listed in the Local Server Data Directory field in the Options dialog box.
Looks like you can not have multiple locations for your dimension worksheet directory unless you manually change the reference in perspectives options dialog each time? Is this correct or can I manage a better way?

thanks
GG
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Worksheet Directory for multiple TM1 Servers

Post by Alan Kirk »

BigG wrote: I am aiming to create a dimension worksheet directory for a TM1 server, but if I have multiple TM1 servers will I have to use a shared single location because..
TM1® saves the dimension worksheet files to the first directory listed in the Local Server Data Directory field in the Options dialog box.
Looks like you can not have multiple locations for your dimension worksheet directory unless you manually change the reference in perspectives options dialog each time? Is this correct or can I manage a better way?
Depends. What's your intention?
- To have completely different dimensions on each of the servers? If so, there's no problem in having all of the worksheets in the one place. I'm not sure I'd be crazy about it from a housekeeping perspective, only because I prefer to keep all related files as a single "box" which can be moved around as needed, but technically it's fine. Note that you wouldn't need to do this in this case (and I wouldn't); if the dimensions that are used on each server all have different names you could put a semi-colon delimited list specifying the folders for each server into your Perspectives dialog. The .xdis for all of the servers would appear in your list (regardless of which server they relate to) and will be opened and saved back to the folder from whence they came.
- To have dimensions which are intended to be identical and shared between the multiple servers? If so, again you can have a single folder, or you can have a delimited list of folders. However any dims which are identical and shared across multiple servers should be in just one place, otherwise you run the risk of overwriting.
- To have dimensions which have the same name but differ between servers (eg test vs production)? Don't do it. I did that for a while (having the .xdis in multiple folders, obviously; you can't have them all in the same folder) but it ended up being way too easy to for the .xdis to write to the wrong place. For those I went to maintaining them through either TI or the dimension editor. But if you absolutely must use .xdis, then I'd go for the "changing the path" approach as you work on each server.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
Edward Stuart
Community Contributor
Version: All
Excel Version: All

Post by Edward Stuart »

You can input multiple locations into TM1 Options > Data Directory as long as you insert ; between each location

Managing an extensive list of dimensions from multiple servers will be the result though
BigG
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: IBMPA
Version: PA 2.0 Cloud

Post by BigG »

Thanks for the suggestions, I think work through the options.
GG
jstrygner
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 FP3

Post by jstrygner »

Alan Kirk wrote:- To have dimensions which have the same name but differ between servers (eg test vs production)? Don't do it. I did that for a while (having the .xdis in multiple folders, obviously; you can't have them all in the same folder) but it ended up being way too easy to for the .xdis to write to the wrong place.
Considering .xdi may contain many sheets you could keep separate sheets for separate TM1 Servers and name/colour them to make it relatively easy not to make a mistake which version on which TM1 Server is saved. This way you could keep one file in one .xdi directory.

So far I only used .xdi sheets to keep tracking of changes for one dimension, so I cannot fully say if above suggestion has some annoying/difficult side effects.