Weird happenings w/ Server Explorer

nmiller
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2010

Weird happenings w/ Server Explorer

Post by nmiller »

When clicking on a view (within a cube, doesnt matter which cube) and then "Exporting as ASCII" i click on an element and TM1 totally freezes, not allowing me to click anything. I have to manually close TM1 through Task Manager. THis just started happening today and i have no clue what is going on. Anyone? Suggestions or Thoughts?
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Re: Weird happenings w/ Server Explorer

Post by Alan Kirk »

nmiller wrote:When clicking on a view (within a cube, doesnt matter which cube) and then "Exporting as ASCII" i click on an element and TM1 totally freezes, not allowing me to click anything. I have to manually close TM1 through Task Manager. THis just started happening today and i have no clue what is going on. Anyone? Suggestions or Thoughts?
A couple. When you click on the element, do you see a brief flash? The kind that you might see if a dialog was opening and then disappearing? I had an instance a couple of days back where TM1 would seem to "freeze" when the user went into the subset editor but what was actually happening was that the tm1p.ini file (%APPDATA%\Applix\TM1) had somehow (and the fact that she sometimes used a dual monitor setup struck me as the "how") defined the x position of her subset editor window as being somewhere around 2700 pixels. On a 1280*800 display. It therefore appeared to hang because it was waiting for an entry in the subset editor, which she couldn't get to. I just shut her session down and hacked the "SubsetWindowLayoutInfo = " and "MainWindowLayoutInfo =" lines from her .ini file, which got rid of the problem.

The other is the possible corruption of the .tbd files in the same directory. Those things have been known to cause Excel to crash when a user double clicks on a SubNm formula. I haven't seen them cause the issue that you describe but it might be worth deleting them anyway and seeing whether it helps given that the place that you seem to be having the problem is with launching Subset Editor.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
nmiller
Version: 9.4

Post by nmiller »

Alan,

Thanks for the information. I too use a double screen and i was accessing TM1 at home on the laptop. What did you do to the "SubsetWindowLayoutInfo = " and "MainWindowLayoutInfo =" lines? I think this may be my problem as well.
AmbPin
Regular Participant
Version: 9.5.2
Excel Version: 2007-10

Post by AmbPin »

Hello,

I think I found this BAT file on here somewhere that might do the trick for you:-

Code: Select all

@echo off
REM  ****************************************************************************************************
REM  * Removes window positions from the TM1P.INI file which can result in TM1 windows being created    *
REM  * off screen if TM1 was last used with a second monitor attached.                                  *
REM  ****************************************************************************************************

:: Keep variables local
SETLOCAL 

:: Set file to be edited
Set FiletoOpen="%APPDATA%\Applix\TM1\tm1p.ini"
Set TempFile="%APPDATA%\Applix\TM1\tmp.txt"

type %FileToOpen% | findstr /v MainWindowLayoutInfo > %TempFile%
copy /Y %TempFile% %FileToOpen%

type %FileToOpen% | findstr /v SubsetWindowLayoutInfo > %TempFile% 

type %FileToOpen% | findstr /v SecurityAssignmentWindowLayoutInfo > %TempFile% 

del /Q %TempFile% 

echo TM1 Windows re-set.
pause
ENDLOCAL
Alan Kirk
Site Admin
Version: PA2.0.9.18 Classic NO PAW!
Excel Version: 2013 and Office 365

Post by Alan Kirk »

nmiller wrote: Thanks for the information. I too use a double screen and i was accessing TM1 at home on the laptop. What did you do to the "SubsetWindowLayoutInfo = " and "MainWindowLayoutInfo =" lines? I think this may be my problem as well.
Just delete 'em and save the .ini file. They'll be regenerated the next time you use the subset editor, which will go back to more reasonable defaults. I haven't really looked at the batch file in the preceding post but I imagine that it does something similar, but more automated.

I'll put a note to put something into the next release of TM1 Tools to do that as well.
"To them, equipment failure is terrifying. To me, it’s 'Tuesday.' "
-----------
Before posting, please check the documentation, the FAQ, the Search function and FOR THE LOVE OF GLUB the Request Guidelines.
jstrygner
MVP
Version: 9.5.2 FP3

Post by jstrygner »

For me the best workaround is the one posted by Neeta in this thread.

Suggestion is to use Windows Key + any Arrow Key to bring active window to your main monitor.