MaxServerClientExceedMaxLogonNumber

damientaylorcreata
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: 9.4
Excel Version: 2003 and 2007

MaxServerClientExceedMaxLogonNumber

Post by damientaylorcreata »

Hi Guys,

One of our users is having an issue logging into EV and is getting the following error message:

Unhandled Exception:
Additional Information:
SystemServerClientExceedMaxLogonNumber

Could somebody please shed some light on this and maybe a solution to enable him to login..

In Security -> Clients/Groups, I have put his "Max Connections" up to some silly like 1000! So this field shouldn't be causing the issue.

I have searched the documentation and google for this error message, but no luck.
Damien Taylor
Steve Vincent
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.2.2 FP1
Excel Version: 2010

Re: MaxServerClientExceedMaxLogonNumber

Post by Steve Vincent »

not used EV but in TM1 there is also a setting in the license (or used to be) on max number of concurrent connections allowed. Is there something similar on the server side that might be causing it?
If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier, just so long as I'm the dictator.
Production: Planning Analytics 64 bit 2.0.5, Windows 2016 Server. Excel 2016, IE11 for t'internet
damientaylorcreata

Hi Steve, to answer you question, yes there is a "MAX_USERS" setting and set to 99999.

However, I have since reset his password and tried logging in my machine and it worked for me. However I then got him to try logging in and it gave him the same message "MaxServerClientExceedMaxLogonNumber", and then when I try after his failure, I also then get the same message. So then I reset the password again and I am then able to login again..

Its very strange! It seems like it something to do with his computer. I have got him to reset his temp internet files, and cookies. But it is still doing the same thing.
Damien Taylor
Martin Ryan
Site Admin
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 10.1
Excel Version: 2010

Post by Martin Ryan »

You can sometimes get ghost sessions that eat up client connections for a variety of reasons. Setting the cfg parameter IdleConnectionTimeOutSeconds can help with this.

For MAX_USERS, are you talking about a cfg parameter, or the client property? There's a setting against each user that says how many people can concurrently connect as the given user name. 0 disables it. To set it against this particular user, go to the clients' security front end where you add users and groups. It's the first column.

Cheers,
Martin
Please do not send technical questions via private message or email. Post them in the forum where you'll probably get a faster reply, and everyone can benefit from the answers.
Jodi Ryan Family Lawyer
damientaylorcreata

Thankyou for your reply. However I don't think it would be to do with Ghost sessions, because we have rebooted the entire server since and the problem still persists. I assume that rebooting the server would kill any ghost sessions.

The MAX_USERS flag that I am referring to is within the config file on the server. However I have also set the max connections flag within the Users/Groups screen within perspectifves. However I didn't know about the ability to specify 0 for unlimited users. I have been putting large numbers instead, however I will set the users to 0 instead. thanks.
Damien Taylor