MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Jedox
Version: PAL 2.0.9.18
Excel Version: Microsoft 365

TM1 process security

Post by Wim Gielis »

Hello friends

(TM1 10.1.1)

Long post, but please stick with me :-) Can anyone enlighten me on how process security works? I have been dealing with it today, and some of the observations seem bizarre.
The user I tested with, is not a member of the Admin group. He has only 1 group association (it's a pet model, there's only 1 non-admin group and a handful of clients).
Inputs in the }ProcessSecurity cube are done manually, no rules involved. I also did not use the interface to set the rights.

For example, I have 4 different processes:
*) process 1:
}ProcessSecurity cube entry: WRITE
Interface: Read
Does the Edit option shows when right-clicking the process in the Server Explorer: No
Can the security group save the process in the Server Explorer? No

*) process 2:
}ProcessSecurity cube entry: WRITE
Interface: Write
Does the Edit option shows when right-clicking the process in the Server Explorer: Yes
Can the security group save the process in the Server Explorer? Yes

*) process 3:
}ProcessSecurity cube entry: READ
Does the Edit option shows when right-clicking the process in the Server Explorer: No

*) process 4:
}ProcessSecurity cube entry: READ
Does the Edit option shows when right-clicking the process in the Server Explorer: Yes

My findings:

- I would say that process 3 is completely normal behaviour
- Process 1 and 2: I did not know that process security can be WRITE... In the user interface, Write cannot be set as privilege !
- Process 1: how can the internal security cube }ProcessSecurity and the user interface be different?
- Process 4: while not being able to save changes is to be expected, why is the Edit option upon a right-click of the mouse allowed?

This all holds after restarting the TM1 service.

Are these bugs/shortcomings, or should one just not use the internal security cube }ProcessSecurity to set the rights?
Because if I use the user interface and set everything to Read, saving the processes is not possible anymore, but some TI's have "Edit" greyed out and others not. Why the difference?

1 last important remark, which is against my understanding since when I started working with TM1.
I thought that TI processes are executed with admin privileges: I mean, whenever a group has Read access to a TI process, the group can execute the process successfully.
Even if the process writes data to a cube to which the group has no or limited rights.
This IBM technote supports that view: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21459638
But then, use the CellPutProportionalSpread function in TI... the non-admin user executing this process should have the element security level of Write in order for the process to complete successfully. Go figure.

Thanks.

Wim
Best regards,

Wim Gielis

IBM Champion 2024
Excel Most Valuable Professional, 2011-2014
https://www.wimgielis.com ==> 121 TM1 articles and a lot of custom code
Newest blog article: Deleting elements quickly
jstrygner
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.2 FP3
Excel Version: 2010

Re: TM1 process security

Post by jstrygner »

Wim,

I would treat it as bugs.

I just wanted to share that it seems like there was some bigger mess with setting security privileges in version 10.1.1 (HF5 in my case).

What I experience, I cannot rely anymore on changing assignment of users to groups by doing manual inputs in }ClientGroups cube.
I never had such problems in any other TM1 versions I was using. It always worked nicely and was very comfortable.

The only reliable way to do it is to use AssignClientToGroup TI function.

That is why I am not that surprised about what you described, this seems like a serious issue though.

My questions:
1. Does it start to behave better if you set Process Security using ElementSecurityPut TI function?
2. Are you still on 10.1.1 (HF?) or maybe it is already 10.1.1 FP1?

Regards