Excel workbook slow "first time" open with TM1 9.5.2

jydell
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: TM1 Build Number: 11.8.01300.
Excel Version: Version 2401

Excel workbook slow "first time" open with TM1 9.5.2

Post by jydell »

Hi

I have recently experienced an issue where a particular excel workbook is slow to open the first time opened in the day however is fast to open without loggin onto TM1. Characteristics of the issue include

1: File opens quickly <1 second if I have not logged into TM1. (TM1 addin live just not logged in)
2: File open time approx 1 minute if loggied on to TM1
3: If I re-open the file after closing (but not logging off the network), it then opens quickly (compared to first time open 1 minute)
4: If I open without being logged onto TM1 < 1 second, then log onto TM1 the TM1 logon process takes approx 1 minute
5: Same experience on multiple PC's. Logons
6: Auto calcualtions are not on for the above. (TM1 does nto calculate at open)
7: I have tried sample deleting Tabs on the file and still experience the issue
8: No at open macro's in the workbook
9: I have minimised the file size (it is similar to many other workbooks I use)

Has anybody seen this type of event before or could you help with suggestions on how to troubleshoot and resolve the issue. My next step will be to copy Tab by Tab to a new workbook, log off and open again to see if a particular Tab is causing the problem. Due to requiring log off each time this will be a slow process.

My theory is the file is loading something??? into local memory on first time open with TM1 loged on (that speeds up subsequent file opens) but I cannot pinpoint it.

Regards
Olivier
Community Contributor
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: Tm1 10.2.2fp4 -> 2.09
Excel Version: Excel 2013 - 2019

Re: Excel workbook slow "first time" open with TM1 9.5.2

Post by Olivier »

Hi,

Is the auto calculation excel option set on the file you are mentioning ?
Would the file have been saved with the Auto Calc Excel option on ?

If this is the case, try to save the file with the excel calculation option set to off.

Else, Is one of the spreadsheet in your workbook containing an Activeform ?

If Yes,
check in the Excel defined Names (Excel menu Insert/Name/Define) what is set up for the Name "TM1REBUILDOPTION" ?

If it is =1, then the Activeform report is recalculated when the report is open and the connection to the relevant server is active.
Change it to =0 and the activefrom will not be rebuild automatically when you open the file...
HTH
Olivier
jydell
OLAP Product: tm1
Version: TM1 Build Number: 11.8.01300.
Excel Version: Version 2401

Re: Excel workbook slow "first time" open with TM1 9.5.2

Post by jydell »

Thank Oliver, you saved me

I do not have any active forms however the spreadsheet may have had some in the past (later deleted) so the Name "TM1REBUILDOPTION" was still there and set to = 1 as you suspected.

When I changed this to = 0 it fixed the issue. Additionally as there are no longer any active forms in this workbook I deleted the name and the workbook now appears to be fine.

Regards