Unable to login from client PC

glaurens

Unable to login from client PC

Post by glaurens »

Hi all,

I hope somebody can help me with this issue:

This morning I was able to login from my laptop to 3 instances on the server. I stopped the dev server, copied all files (excl tm1s.cfg) from production to dev and started the service. I could see the server in Architect/Perspectives from my laptop but when I double-click there was no sign-in box. When I double-click on the other servers, I was prompted for username and password. The same goes for a colleague of mine.

I then restarted the server and now can't access any of the 3 servers from my laptop. The same goes for a colleague of mine.

I can still access the servers by using Architect on the server.

I am running TM1 10.1.1. and I can telnet the ports from my laptop. For good measure, I've turned integrated login on on the laptop and set security mode to 2 on the server. It didn't make any difference since I still didn't get any response when double-clicking.

Does anybody have any suggestions?
declanr
MVP
OLAP Product: Cognos TM1
Version: PA2.0 and most of the old ones
Excel Version: All of em

Re: Unable to login from client PC

Post by declanr »

My first point to check when you can connect on the server but not over the network is whether a firewall is blocking you.
Possibly restarting the server could have re-applied generic firewall settings from your company that had previously been disabled, hence why you would have previously been able to access it but not now.

To elaborate on this you can quickly check if a firewall is the cause by turning it off for the server and then trying to connect again but in the long term; adding the relevant IP addresses to the CFG file will allow connection. There should be a couple of posts on here about the specific config parameter.
Another check is that you can normally still log in to TM1 Web but not architect/perspectives if the issue is firewall related - but that is less concrete as evidence.
Declan Rodger
tomok
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1, Palo
Version: Beginning of time thru 10.2
Excel Version: 2003-2007-2010-2013

Post by tomok »

If you can see a server in the list but double-clicking om it does nothing, the most common cause is one or more of the services using the same IP port. Check the tm1s.cfg file for each of the services and make sure they are all using a unique port.
Tom O'Kelley - Manager Finance Systems
American Tower
http://www.onlinecourtreservations.com/
glaurens

Post by glaurens »

Thanks for the replies, but unfortunately neither is the cause for my problem since I started having this problem after purely replacing a whole server excl. the tm1s.cfg. I tested with server and client firewalls off and even managed to telent to all necessary ports with the firewalls one. I also tested with only one server running.

Any other suggestions?

thanks
moby91
MVP
OLAP Product: TM1
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

Doublecheck the server configuration files tm1s.cfg of your three TM1 server instances:
Each one must have unique values for the parameters ServerName, PortNumber, ClientMessagePortNumber, DataBaseDirectory and LoggingDirectory.

Is this mandatory condition meet ?
moby91
MVP
Version: 9.5.1
Excel Version: 2003 2007

Post by moby91 »

glaurens wrote: This morning I was able to login from my laptop to 3 instances on the server. I stopped the dev server, copied all files (excl tm1s.cfg) from production to dev and started the service.
What about the logger configuration file tm1s-log.properties in the database directory of your dev instance ?
Are there any machine dependant settings ?
Which work in production, because they exist in production, but fail in dev, because they do not exist in dev ?
For instance a customized TM1 server message logfile tm1server.log ?
glaurens

Post by glaurens »

There is nothing complicated like custom log files, etc.

While trying to sort this out, I also created new services using the IBM cognos configuration as well as adding the service manually using tm1sd -install. That also didn't work.
TJMurphy
Version: PA 2.0.6 Local
Excel Version: Excel 2016

Post by TJMurphy »

Probably pointless question but as all the other obvious ones didn't work - are you pointing to the right file for the ssl certificates? When messing about with different versions on my PC I've found something similar to what you're experiencing.
glaurens

Post by glaurens »

I meant to post a last reply:

This issue sorted itself out.

I'm thinking it was a network problem, because while I sat with IT to try and sort it out, they put IP address in admin host and it worked. I left my admin host as the servername, refreshed and suddenly I was able to get in.

Very weird